Kennedy leaves hospital after seizure
Kennedy’s office confirmed the senator left Washington Hospital Center, where he had been resting overnight for observation. A Kennedy representative, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Massachusetts senator was in good spirits and that doctors wanted him to get some rest.
Doctors on Tuesday had blamed fatigue for the seizure. Kennedy, who has been under treatment for a brain tumour since last spring, suffered the seizure during an inaugural luncheon after attending the swearing-in of President Barack Obama. He talked with family and friends and felt well while he was at the hospital, according to a statement released by his office on Tuesday.
The 76-year-old Democrat was diagnosed last May with a particularly aggressive type of brain tumour and has been treated with surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
Kennedy’s seizure at the inaugural lunch was witnessed by fellow senators.
Longtime friend Senator Chris Dodd, quoted Kennedy as saying: “I’ll be OK, I’ll see you later” as he was put into an ambulance on Tuesday.
At the luncheon, Obama told lawmakers his prayers were with the senator and his family. Kennedy has pledged to forge a breakthrough on healthcare reform working with Obama and Democrats who control Congress.
He has been a leading champion of healthcare reform for decades.




