FBI gives Pakistan evidence relating to Mumbai attacks

INDIA said yesterday the FBI had presented strong evidence to Islamabad of Pakistani links to November’s militant attacks in Mumbai that killed 179 people.

India has blamed the assault on the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), which was set up by Pakistani security agencies in the 1980s to fight Indian rule in the disputed Kashmir region, but was officially banned in 2002.

Pakistan has condemned the Mumbai attacks and denied any state role, blaming “non-state actors”.

“We have been told that there is some strong evidence available to FBI and they have shared it with Pakistan,” Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee said.

Mukherjee’s comments came a day after the Wall Street Journal said a LeT leader, captured last month in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir, had confessed to being a main planner of the attack on India’s financial hub.

Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has told US President George W Bush anyone found involved in the attack would be dealt with.

Mukherjee repeated India’s calls for Pakistan to hand over the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks.

Pakistan launched raids on militants on its soil in the aftermath of the attack. But, it says India has yet to provide evidence and has ruled out sending Pakistanis to India for trial.

President Bush made separate calls to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan’s Zardari on Wednesday, urging cooperation.

Pakistan and India have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox