Eleven-year-old boy left home alone as family go on holiday

AN 11-year-old boy is to spend Christmas day in foster care after his family allegedly decided to leave him home alone while they took a holiday in the Canaries.

Now the boy’s 33-year-old mother is to be questioned by police in Derbyshire, England. She is the second mother to be questioned over ‘child abandonment’ in England.

This follows the arrest of a mother yesterday on suspicion of leaving her 12-year-old son home alone for almost two weeks. Jill Parker, 53, was released on police bail pending further inquiries.

It is understood the family, from New Mills, in Derbyshire, travelled to the Canary Islands on holiday without their son, who didn’t have a passport.

A Derbyshire police spokeswoman said: “A woman will be questioned by police following reports that an 11-year-old boy was left at home alone. We were contacted by local social services about the boy, who has been made the subject of an interim care order.”

Officers from a family unit based in Buxton are to question the boy’s mother, who has returned from her trip.

It is thought the family had travelled together to Manchester Airport to spend a three-week holiday in Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands.

The mother is alleged to have then handed the child a door key and sent him home in a taxi before flying off for the break with her husband and a second child.

Neighbours who spotted the 11-year-old getting out of the cab on his own contacted police, who took him to a neighbour’s house and later contacted the mother at her holiday accommodation, it is understood.

A spokeswoman for Derbyshire county council said: “(The boy) has now been placed with foster parents while police carry out further inquiries.”

Ms Parker was released on bail from Battersea Police Station in south-west London to return on January 15, a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

Meanwhile, Ms Parker, who was arrested late on Sunday night, was believed to have undergone medical assessments during her time at the police station.

Officers refused to reveal if she had been released to seek medical help, or if, or when, she would be reunited with her 12-year-old son, Rufus Polak, who fended for himself for more than two weeks at the family home in Battersea.

More in this section


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox