Cobh Ramblers distance themselves from issues facing owners FC32 Global Holdings
Cobh Ramblers have distanced themselves from the issues facing FC32 Global Holdings Inc. Pic: Michael P Ryan/Sportsfile.
Cobh Ramblers have distanced themselves from the issues facing FC32 Global Holdings Inc, the organisation that took control of the League of Ireland side last October and brought them under a ‘multi-club’ umbrella.
This follows the resignation of Vice President Paul Francis, and the group’s decision to withdraw funding from SKN St. Polten, who operate in the second tier of the Austrian football pyramid, with immediate effect.
Mr. Francis fronted the takeover of Cobh Ramblers last year, and was originally listed as the organisation’s CEO. The two clubs were supposed to co-exist in an ecosystem that was joined by Italian side Spezia Calcio last February.
“We were surprised last Sunday with the news that FC32 Holding will cease all payments with immediate effect,” said SKN St. Polten Managing Director Matthias Gebauer in a statement on Thursday.
“We received payments from FC32 last week. We reacted immediately and have been doing everything we can to secure the club’s long-term future ever since.”
Cobh responded on Friday morning, saying the events in Austria will have ‘no bearing’ on their operations.
“We would like to clarify recent developments regarding FC32 Global Holdings Inc,” they said.
“FC32 Global Holdings is separate to Cobh Ramblers FC Limited with no bearing on the club’s future operations.
“The club remains independent, and its operations continue under the leadership of the previously member elected committee, along with Deanna Brown, CEO, and Bill O’Leary, Chairman.
“At the heart of Cobh Ramblers is our community who have always formed the backbone of this club.
“With the continued support and the broader Cobh community, we will continue to be successful both on and off the pitch.
“We believe in the strength of our club. We stay united and positive.”
Cobh Ramblers were formally acquired by the group at the end of the 2024 season after originally appealing for investment in December 2022.
Three interested parties approached the club, and their offers were discussed at an EGM last year.
The takeover by FC32 was approved after a complex process and Cobh started preparing for the 2025 season by refreshing their squad with big-name signings, which included the appointment of former Iran and Colombia coach Mick McDermott as manager.
Shane Griffin was signed from reigning League of Ireland champions Shelbourne, and a number of players were recruited from the Cork City side that won the First Division at a canter in 2024.
FC32, which was fronted by Mr. Francis, wished to create a player focused environment that had close co-operation in an expanding environment of clubs from across Europe.
The organisation behind this project was complex and multi-faceted, with a number of different backers, including two-time Super Bowl champion Lawrence Tynes.
The Ramblers targets were laid out last November, with Mr. Francis telling local media about his plans to push for promotion and then stay in the League of Ireland Premier Division.
The club are currently second in the second tier, four points behind leaders Dundalk at the end of the first round of fixtures.






