Gunners scrape a win, but what happened to West Ham?

Spurs impressed with a win at the bet365 Stadium.

Gunners scrape a win, but what happened to West Ham?

Arsene Wenger's Arsenal had to wait until injury time to secure a win at the Emirates today.

Santi Cazorla's controversial stoppage-time penalty was enough to give them victory over Southampton today.

With the match deep into added time and both sides looking like taking a share of the spoils, Cazorla thrashed home a spot-kick to seal a 2-1 win after substitute Olivier Giroud had been tugged to the ground by Jose Fonte.

It looked like Wenger would have to settle for a point until referee Robert Madley's late call allowed Cazorla to secure a second win of the season for Arsenal.

But questions will be asked as to whether play should have been stopped by Madley as Gunners' skipper Laurent Koscielny lay prone in front of the Saints goal with a head injury at the time.

Southampton had led through an own goal from Petr Cech with birthday boy Koscielny drawing Arsene Wenger's side level with a stunning overhead kick.

Watford completed a remarkable comeback aided by hair-brained defending from West Ham after firing four unanswered goals in a thrilling 4-2 victory.

Michail Antonio and Dimitri Payet combined to give the Hammers a comfortable lead, only for Walter Mazzarri's men to spring into action on an afternoon of high drama at London Stadium.

Odion Ighalo, Troy Deeney, Etienne Capoue and Jose Holebas were on target as the home defence fell apart and, but for a little more accuracy in the final 10 minutes, Watford could have won by more.

The first half alone produced four goals, Antonio plundering two of them as West Ham seized a 2-0 lead that owed much to the vision of France midfielder Payet.

Tottenham repeated their April annihilation of Stoke with another 4-0 win at the bet365 Stadium which maintained their unbeaten start to the season.

Spurs had only won once since thrashing the Potters at this venue five months ago when they looked like champions-elect and this was a performance in the manner of both that day and their late-season run.

Heung-Min Son, brought in for Erik Lamela after he played for Argentina in midweek, scored with two first-time finishes either side of the interval and England internationals Dele Alli and Harry Kane, both of whom scored doubles back in April, then found the net for the first time this season.

It was Kane's first in 10 games for club and country and his 50th Premier League goal in 87 top-flight appearances as he reached a welcome landmark ahead of the start of Spurs' Champions League campaign next week.

Robert Snodgrass grabbed an injury-time lifeline for Hull as they continued to show their fighting spirit with a 1-1 draw at Burnley.

Snodgrass, who grabbed a hat-trick for Scotland against Malta, again showed his eye for goal by bending a last-chance free-kick past Tom Heaton to cancel out Steven Defour's wonderful opener.

The Belgium international looked to have settled things in the home side's favour in the 73rd minute with an elegant solo run and shot but the Tigers, under caretaker boss Mike Phelan, continue to defy grim predictions this term.

Jack Wilshere made his Bournemouth debut from the bench and promptly helped them to a first victory of the season against West Brom.

The midfielder, who moved to the Cherries in a shock deadline day loan switch from Arsenal, came on after 63 minutes with the score goalless and his new team tiring.

And with 11 minutes remaining, a cheeky flick from Callum Wilson secured a 1-0 win for the hosts and a winning start for Wilshere.

Wilfried Zaha's opportunist strike handed Crystal Palace a 2-1 win, their first of the Premier League season as Middlesbrough's unbeaten start came to a disappointing end.

Zaha capitalised on a dreadful error by Boro full-back George Friend two minutes into the second half to clinch a deserved victory - just a third in 23 league games in 2016 for manager Alan Pardew - in front of a crowd of 30,551 at the Riverside Stadium.

Christian Benteke had earlier paid off the first instalment of his £27.5million transfer fee by heading the visitors into a 16th-minute lead, his opening goal for the club, and although Boro defender Daniel Ayala levelled seven minutes before the break, Pardew's men were not to be denied despite two late penalty claims.

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd