Derry keep second leg hopes up with two away goals

Derry City 4 Trabzonspor 2

Derry keep second leg hopes up with two away goals

Derry City 4 Trabzonspor 2

Europa League

Big away goals from David McDaid and Paddy Kavanagh saw Derry City frighten the life out of Trabzonspor as they lost a thrilling Europa League, first qualifying round, first leg 4-2 on the Black Sea coast last night.

Somehow keeping the tie alive for the second leg at the Brandywell next week was Derry’s mission to this far corner of Europe.

And while Declan Devine’s side were outclassed for much of the match, Trabzonspor will come to Foyleside with more than a tinge of doubt in their minds as they failed to kill off the tie last night.

Derry looked in real trouble as they found themselves 2-0 down inside 15 minutes.

Poland international Adrian Mierzejewski worked a one-two with Volkan Sen to play Adin in on the left. Ger Doherty made a good stop with his feet. But the ball spun into the air with Mierzejewski’s overhead kick deflecting to the net off Eoghan Osborne’s knee.

Trabzonspor then punished a goalkeeping mistake to double their lead five minutes later. Olcan Adin left fly from 25 yards off his left foot. Doherty spilled the slippy ball and Brazilian Paulo Henrique was on to it in a flash to scoop the loose ball to the net.

But Derry responded brilliant, pulling a goal back on 24 minutes when David McDaid punished a defesive error to rifle a left-foot shot to the net from outside the area.

Incredibly Derry then levelled on 32 minutes. Skipper Barry Molloy released Paddy Kavanagh on the counterattack and the winger's deflected shot beat Onur Kivrak for a second time.

An own goal by Molly, who deflected an Adin free kick to the net, put Trabzonspor back in front on 39 minutes.

Trabzonspor came out with added intent in the second half and had a goal disallowed before Kacar was given a downward header from Mierzejewski’s corner to add their fourth goal.

Doherty then saved well from Sen and Mierzejewski while Molloy cleared off the line from Colman as Derry held on.

Substitute Ryan McBride then almost snatched a third for Derry two minutes into stoppage time when drilling a shot narrowly wide

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox