Reds poised to confirm Rodgers appointment

Liverpool’s two-week search for a new manager is likely to be concluded later today once owners Fenway Sports Group come up with acceptable compensation to take Brendan Rodgers from Swansea.

Liverpool’s two-week search for a new manager is likely to be concluded later today once owners Fenway Sports Group come up with acceptable compensation to take Brendan Rodgers from Swansea.

The 39-year-old was offered the job yesterday and his south Wales club have reluctantly allowed him to leave even though he only signed a new three-and-a-half-year deal in February.

However, the safety net of that contract means Swansea are likely to receive a pay-off of between £4million-£5million once terms are agreed in the next few hours.

Rodgers is expected to sign a three-year contract and be presented as the successor to Kenny Dalglish on Friday.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins admitted he could not stand in the Northern Irishman’s way, although he will insist on driving a hard financial bargain with the Reds.

“Following on from discussions with Liverpool’s owners, Brendan has informed us that he would like to take up their offer to manage Liverpool,” said Jenkins in a statement.

“At the moment we are currently in talks with the owners to agree compensation.

“We are trying to finalise that within the next 24 hours.”

Swansea were contacted by Liverpool on Tuesday night and Rodgers expressed his wish to speak to the Merseysiders. Having done so, he told Jenkins he wished to take up their offer.

Rodgers moved ahead of Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, who held talks with Reds’ principal owner John Henry in Miami last week, in the pecking order earlier this week.

He had initially rejected their advances two weeks ago as he did not want to become involved in a wide-ranging selection process to canvass the best available talent.

However, when it became clear FSG had narrowed down their options to two he relented and discussions were conducted swiftly.

“Although we are very disappointed to lose such a talented, young British manager, we didn’t wish to stand in his way,” added the Swans chairman.

“As always at Swansea City, we want people working here who are fully committed to the task ahead.

“We wish Brendan every success in the future. We will always remain good friends and we thank him for all his hard work and passion at this football club over the past two years.

“We shall now refocus and quickly start the process of finding his replacement to continue the great work Brendan has carried out at this football club.”

It remains to be seen exactly what system Rodgers will work under at Anfield as FSG were keen to split the workload of former director of football Damien Comolli, who was sacked in April.

Dutchman Louis van Gaal emerged as the leading candidate to take a sporting director role but it is known both Martinez and Rodgers had expressed a desire to have greater control of footballing affairs.

With their manager almost in place Henry and chairman Tom Werner, who will attend the Premier League’s chairmen’s meeting today, have to decide whether that structure can still work.

More in this section

Sport
Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox