St. Patrick's Athletic settle for draw after Fagan misses penalty

Christy Fagan missed a late penalty for St. Patrick's Athletic as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw in the match of the night at top of the table Sligo Rovers.

Christy Fagan missed a late penalty for St. Patrick's Athletic as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw in the match of the night at top of the table Sligo Rovers.

With 89 minutes up on the clock, Fagan stepped up with the chance to win it for St. Pat's who'd had the better of the game. But the striker blazed his spot kick over the bar.

Sligo got their noses in front in fortuitous fashion on 18 minutes. St. Pat’s keeper Brendan Clarke managed to merely palm away a Joseph Ndo corner, but it struck the back of central defender Kenny Browne and ricocheted into the net for an own goal.

St. Pat's soon got on top though, finally levelling on 72 minutes through winger Sean O'Connor who headed home John Russell's cross.

Champions Shamrock Rovers' frustrating start to the season continued as they also missed a penalty in having to settle for a 1-1 draw with Derry City at Tallaght Stadium.

Billy Dennehy looked set to give Rovers the lead on 22 minutes after Gary McCabe had been fouled inside the area by Matthew Crossan, but his spot kick was brilliantly saved by Derry keeper Ger Doherty.

In-form Gary Twigg did give Rovers the lead two minutes into the second half when tapping home from close range after Craig Sives had mis-kicked from McCabe's corner.

But, despite having Paddy McEleney sent off for a second booking on 70 minutes, Derry equalised through David McDaid seven minutes later. Midfielder Barry Molloy's shot came back off a post and McDaid scooped home the rebound.

Third-place Drogheda United were also held to a 1-1 draw by UCD at the UCD Bowl.

College took the lead on 69 minutes when the ball broke from Graham Rusk for team-mate Danny Ledwith and the defender cut inside to curl a superb shot past Gabriel Sava.

Drogheda hit back in the 84th minute. Sean Brennan headed a corner back across goal for skipper Alan McNally to finish.

Vinny Sullivan scored twice as Cork City got their first away points of the season with a 2-1 win at Shelbourne.

Sullivan latched onto strike partner Tadhg Purcell's through ball to fire Cork deservedly in front on 20 minutes.

Shels came out all guns blazing in the second half and were level within two minutes courtesy of a Paddy Kavanagh volley.

Philip Gorman hit the bar while Philly Hughes brought the stop of the night from Mark McNulty in the Cork goal before the visitors struck for the winner on 83 minutes.

Purcell again provided the assist with a deep cross from the left and Sullivan arrived to head past Paul Skinner.

Jason Byrne made it career goal number 184 as Bray Wanderers beat bottom side Monaghan United 1-0 at Gortakeegan.

Monaghan had midfielder Keith Quinn sent off on 62 minutes for a bad tackle on Bray defender Dave Webster with boss Roddy Collins sent from the dugout for protesting.

Byrne then struck for the only goal on 86 minutes when collecting Kevin Knight's pass to shoot past Michael Schlingermann.

Goals from Ryan McEvoy and Peter McMahon gave Bohemians a 2-0 win at Dundalk.

McEvoy added to his cracking strike against Monaghan last week when giving Bohs the lead on 26 minutes, slotting home after skipping past a couple of defenders.

Fellow midfielder McMahon sealed the win on 70 minutes when scoring after some fine approach play.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox