FIFA pledge funds to victims of Egypt violence

FIFA have donated $250,000 to the families of the victims of last week’s violence in Port Said, Egypt.

FIFA have donated $250,000 to the families of the victims of last week’s violence in Port Said, Egypt.

More than 70 people were killed in the clashes following the match between Al Masry and Al Ahly on February 1.

FIFA today announced they would be contributing to a fund set up by Al Ahly.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said today: “I stated after the tragedy that this day was a black day for football.

“I’m still very shocked by what happened. Many of the victims were so young. They were also a crucial support for their families, who now need help.

“The football community, including FIFA, must assist its Egyptian brothers and sisters.”

FIFA demanded a full report into the incident, with some reports suggesting Egyptian security forces did not do enough to intervene.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited