Ciro Ferrara’s future as coach of Juventus is expected to be decided today.
Juve were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by Inter Milan last night after a 2-1 defeat at the San Siro.
There has been speculation in Italy that Ferrara would be axed if Juve failed to progress to the semi-finals of the competition.
Juventus president Jean Claude Blanc has admitted Ferrara’s job is now on the line.
“We have failed in yet another season aim,” he said.
“There is so much bitterness and everybody knows what the situation is.
“(On Friday) we will announce our decision.”
The 42-year-old Ferrara has been under pressure since Juve were knocked out of the Champions League before the winter break.
Poor form in Serie A has seen the Bianconeri plummet to sixth in the standings, four points behind Napoli, who hold the last Champions League qualifying spot in Serie A.
Alberto Zaccheroni, the former Torino coach, is favourite to succeed Ferrara while Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is also believed to be in the frame.
Ferrara, who is under contract until the end of the current campaign, hopes to keep his job.
“I have so far not been given any announcement by the club,” Ferrara said.
“Hence, (on Friday) I will guide the team in training.”
Juve go into Sunday’s game against Lazio on the back of five defeats in six Serie A games.