No fairytale upsets in Cup

West Brom progressed in their FA Cup third round clash tonight as they defeated Peterborough 2-0 at London Road.

West Brom progressed in their FA Cup third round clash tonight as they defeated Peterborough 2-0 at London Road.

Traffic congestion delayed kick-off by 15 minutes but on-loan Jay Simpson’s first Baggies goal gave the visitors the advantage after 18 minutes when he smacked a 25-yard drive past Joe Lewis.

Paul Robinson then doubled the Premier League side’s advantage just before the break when he glanced a downward header past Lewis from a Do-heon Kim cross.

Wolves recorded their first win at St Andrews for almost eight years as they put in a solid performance to beat Midlands rivals Birmingham 2-0.

Wanderers had not won in three prior to the match but took the lead seven minutes before the break when Andrew Keogh raced onto a Michael Kightly through-ball to slot past Maik Taylor.

Sam Vokes then doubled Wolves’ advantage shortly after the break when he latched on to a Kightly pass just inside the area and finished from close range to book a fourth-round tie with Middlesbrough.

Sheffield United survived a first-half scare to breeze past Coca-Cola League One side Leyton Orient 4-1 at Brisbane Road.

JJ Melligan gave Orient a shock lead from the spot after 38 minutes before United hit back through Greg Halford and Billy Sharp.

Kyle Naughton’s second senior goal put the Blades 3-1 up before Halford sealed the win with a header 12 minutes from the end.

United will face Charlton in the next round after Darren Ambrose’s goal helped them beat Norwich 1-0 at Carrow Road to register their first win in 19 matches.

Swansea will play Portsmouth in the next round after they ran out 2-1 winners at Bridge Road despite a spirited effort from non-league Histon.

The Swans broke the deadlock with a 25-yard screamer from Gorka Pintado before Guillem Bauza added a second.

The Blue Square Premier side sensed a way back in to the game when they pulled one back through Josh Simpson but could not find an equaliser.

Millwall set up a fourth-round tie with either Newcastle or Hull as they beat Crewe 3-2 at Gresty Road.

Crewe took the lead through Luke Murphy but were immediately pegged back by a Scott Barron strike before Neil Harris restored the visitors’ lead – and broke Teddy Sheringham’s club scoring record.

Shaun Miller broke free in the box to put Crewe level with a right-foot strike shortly afterwards before Zak Whitbread’s header put the Dons through with four minutes left.

Cheltenham and Doncaster will replay after playing out a goalless draw at Whaddon Road.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox