Hibs shock Celtic

Hibernian 3-2 Celtic

Hibernian 3-2 Celtic

Hibernian took advantage of Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc's nightmare performance in an absorbing 3-2 win at Easter Road today.

Boruc failed to save Steven Fletcher's tame shot and then made a disastrous howler to allow Dean Shiels to score the winner four minutes from time.

Aiden McGeady cancelled out Fletcher's early goal but Thierry Gathuessi gave Hibs a narrow half-time lead.

Celtic equalised for a second time through Gary Caldwell but Shiels left Boruc red-faced by scoring the third.

The Hoops, hurting from their midweek Champions League defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk, made a bright start with Scott McDonald going close twice within the first three minutes.

Just as it looked like Celtic were about to blow Hibs away, an uncharacteristic Boruc blunder gave Hibs the lead in the fifth minute.

Caldwell's block took the sting out of Fletcher's 25-yard shot, which should have made it easier for the goalkeeper to save, but the Pole somehow managed to let the ball escape his grasp.

Fletcher, however, was then stretchered off in the 19th minute after a challenge with Stephen McManus.

Hibs' advantage did not last long, however, as Celtic levelled in the 25th minute through McGeady after some great movement inside the box.

Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe's back-post cross was headed down by Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink to McDonald who played a neat one-two inside the area with his striking partner.

Dutchman Vennegoor of Hesselink then fed the onrushing McGeady who calmly slotted the ball beyond Yves Ma-Kalambay from 12 yards.

However, Hibs re-established their lead in the 42nd minute through Gathuessi.

The Celtic defence failed to clear the danger and the Cameroonian right-back lashed the ball high into the net from close range.

Hibs looked lively after the restart and Filipe Morais created a chance for himself in the 49th minute, cutting inside Massimo Donati on the edge of the box but his left-footed shot was well held by Boruc.

The hosts seemed desperate to put distance between themselves and Celtic.

Mickael Antoine-Curier hit a shot wide after being set-up by Brian Kerr and Shiels found the side netting in the 53rd minute after creating space 18 yards from goal.

At the other end two minutes later, Donati crossed but Venegoor of Hesselink failed to find the target after sliding in at the back post. Ma-Kalambay was then called on in the 66th minute to palm McGeady's shot over.

And, from the resultant corner kick from Scott Brown, Caldwell powered home a back post header against his former club.

After notching their second, Celtic went looking for the winner.

Italian Donati played a one-two with Vennegoor of Hesselink on the edge of the box before the midfielder rifled a low shot into Ma-Kalambay's arms.

Paul Hartley then managed to squeeze a free-kick past the wall in the 75th minute but the goalkeeper was well-positioned to make the save.

Vennegoor of Hesselink was next to try his luck but a weak left-footed volley again found Ma-Kalambay.

While Ma-Kalambay looked composed, Boruc's nightmare went from bad to worse as he made another blunder to allow Shiels to score.

Substitute Merouane Zemmama's fierce 20-yard shot was dropped by the goalkeeper and Shiels nipped in to place the ball into the empty net in the 86th minute.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.222 s