Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez remains calm in spite of the ongoing legal battle with his former club Valencia.
Benitez, who led Liverpool to the Champions League title last month, was sued by the Spanish club for breach of contract after moving to Anfield in the summer of 2004 with one year left on his contract with the Primera Liga side.
Earlier this week, Valencia postponed the trial set to begin on June 13 until February 2006.
“The lawsuit was filed by Valencia and not by us,” said Benitez in an interview with Spanish newspaper Marca.
“They are the ones who have wanted to change the date and we are in no hurry.”
The 45-year-old won the Spanish title in his first season in charge of Valencia in 2001 and added a double with the league title and the UEFA Cup two years later.
“I get tributes in Almendralejo, Tenerife and Parla (where he coached previously) and yet in Valencia, where I have won more titles and I have left a lasting impression, I have to go back there to deal with a lawsuit,” he said.
The Madrid-born coach has reiterated that he always intended to compensate Valencia.
“I had no inconvenience then in compensating Valencia,” he added.
“But the problem was brought about with the club deciding to withhold my settlement fee that was agreed after the completion of my contract and which is sacred to any worker.”
Benitez says not even the appointment of new Valencia president Juan Soler, who took over the hot-seat following the resignation of president Jaime Orti last October, has helped to bring about an end to the dispute.
“He (Soler) doesn’t know how to stop it,” admitted Benitez.
“He has been overcome by this situation.
“Both lawyers have spoken to each other and it appeared things were speeding up but they don’t know how to find a way out.”