Rui Costa refuses to take blame

Portugal star Rui Costa has refused to be cast in the role of scapegoat for Saturday’s shock defeat by Greece.

Portugal star Rui Costa has refused to be cast in the role of scapegoat for Saturday’s shock defeat by Greece.

The 32-year-old AC Milan star was replaced by Brazilian-born Deco at half-time in Porto at the weekend as coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who also sent on Cristiano Ronaldo for Sabrosa Simao, attempted to kickstart his side.

But, as the recriminations continued ahead of tonight’s vital second game against Russia in Lisbon, Rui Costa was in no mood to take the blame.

“Nobody has been made the culprit for the defeat,” he said.

“A player doesn’t like to be subbed, but you have to accept the changes.

“I’m not saying that when Deco and Cristiano Ronaldo came on it was not good for the team, but don’t say that the difference was enormous and it was my fault that we lost.”

Speculation has been rife since that defeat that Scolari will make changes for the Russia game with Rui Costa one of those whose position is said to be under threat.

The manager was giving nothing away at his final press conference, but while the midfielder is desperate for a chance to win over his critics, he insisted that he will happily make way if it is in the best interests of his country.

“We are together, we are united, we are 23,” he said. “It doesn’t matter which 11 play, if the team loses, we all lose.

“The players who don’t play have to support those who do. We are rivals with a common cause. If I have to not play to help Portugal, I will. We are positive.”

Porto’s Deco is the man being tipped to take his place, although his preparations have been blighted by the recurrence of a row over his Brazilian origins after comments made by Luis Figo last year resurfaced.

The Portuguese camp was quick to play down the matter, and Costa said: “It’s the least important thing I’m concerned about.

“We have to think about winning, no matter who is on the pitch. If I’m not there, I will still support whoever replaces me.”

One man who will not be supporting the Portuguese team, in person at least, is Gilberto Madail, president of the Portuguese Football Federation.

Madail admitted he was so nervous during Saturday’s game that he feared for his health, and with his country facing the prospect of elimination from the tournament in which they have invested so much time and money before the knockout stages, he has decided to stay away.

“I became really nervous – I mean really, really nervous – at the match against Greece,” he said.

“Sometimes you have to think a little bit about your health, and I’m afraid of falling ill.”

x

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited