Wenger: I am committed to Arsenal

Arsene Wenger has confirmed his commitment to Arsenal following the latest reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid.

Arsene Wenger has confirmed his commitment to Arsenal following the latest reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid.

The Highbury chief responded to claims this morning by controversial agent Marc Roger that the Frenchman wants to boss the Spanish giants.

Wenger told Arsenal’s website, www.arsenal.com: “It is simple. I am committed to Arsenal and will not get involved in any of this speculation.”

Wenger's statement follows speculation that he was wanted by Real to replace coach Vicente del Bosque.

Arsenal insisted earlier this week they were “not perturbed” by the reports.

A club statement on Tuesday added: “Arsene himself has reiterated his commitment to the club on a number of occasions and we see no reason to pass further comment on the subject.”

French sports paper L’Equipe had reported earlier that Wenger had met Real president Florentino Perez in Paris.

The paper reported that Wenger met Perez, Real’s director of sport Jorge Valdano and agent Marc Roger in the departures lounge at Orly airport in Paris last Friday afternoon and that the party then adjourned to a hotel.

Wenger, contacted by L’Equipe later, limited himself to saying: “I met lots of people on Friday.”

He then told the paper: “I am still contracted for two years at Arsenal and I will go to the end of this engagement.

“We will see what happens after that but I could even stay at Arsenal.”

Del Bosque’s current deal expires in the summer and, after the club were eliminated in the Champions League semi-finals by Juventus, the outgoing European champions put contract talks on hold.

More in this section

Sport
Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox