Neville sets fitness deadline

Gary Neville has set himself a two-week deadline in his race against the clock to be fit for the World Cup.

Gary Neville has set himself a two-week deadline in his race against the clock to be fit for the World Cup.

The England defender is expected to miss this summer’s finals in Japan and Korea after breaking the second metatarsal bone in his left foot last week.

Manchester United’s medical team believe Neville will be out for at least six weeks, which would rule him out of England’s opening World Cup game against Sweden on June 2.

Neville has refused to give up all hope yet and is praying he can make a swift recovery.

Neville will not go to Japan unless he is fully fit and his brother Phil says he feels he will know his fate in a fortnight’s time.

‘‘I think he’s very cautious about it,’’ said Phil, who is set to deputise for him in tomorrow’s Champions League return against Bayer Leverkusen, on MUTV.

‘‘He’s in a lot of pain at the moment with it being broken.

‘‘But I think it’s too early to comment either way.

‘‘I think in two weeks’ time he said he will know in himself if he’s going to be fit.

‘‘If he’s not going to be fit, 100% fit, for the first game, then there’s no point going he said.

‘‘Knowing Gary he will not go out there if he’s not 100% fit.’’

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited