FA Cup: Arsenal, West Brom and Boro go through to quarter-finals

Arsenal 5, Gillingham 2 (full time)

FA Cup latest

FA Cup fifth round (k/o 3pm)

Walsall 1-2 Fulham RES

Byfield 49 Bennett og 43

Hayles 61

Arsenal 5-2 Gillingham RES

Wiltord 38, 83 King 47

Kanu 50 Gooden 54

Adams 67

Parlour 89

Middlesborough 1-0 Blackburn RES

Ehiogu 87

West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Cheltenham RES

Dichio 64

Arsenal 5, Gillingham 2 (full-time)

Arsenal are through to the quarter finals of the FA Cup after a 5-2 win over Gillingham at Highbury.

A number of stoppages for injuries affected the flow of the game - the longest of which saw Onuora floored by Patrick Vieira’s flailing elbow in an aerial challenge.

But the disruption did not knock Arsenal out of their stride and the Premiership side took the lead seven minutes before half-time.

As the visitors attack broke down, Vieira sent Jeffers galloping deep into Gillingham territory and when the striker’s shot on the run was repelled by Bartram, Wiltord turned the ball past him with a clever, first-time flick with the outside of his right boot.

However, less than two minutes into the second period, Gillingham hauled themselves level with a stunning strike from Marlon King.

Shaw slipped the striker into the area, taking advantage of Sol Campbell playing him onside, and King emphatically drilled across Richard Wright to the joy of the 6,500 supporters of the Kent club.

That joy was short-lived, however, as Arsenal regained the lead with a 50th-minute goal from Kanu.

Bartram failed to deal with Edu’s free-kick properly and left the Nigerian with the simple task of lifting the loose ball into the roof of the net.

But, amazingly, Gillingham made it three goals in six minutes with an even better goal than King’s first.

Ty Gooden found room in midfield, stepped past Campbell’s challenge and flashed his left-footed shot over Wright from 20 yards to level the scores again.

Arsenal were not behind for long though - this time, Bartram was left helpless as a quality Pires centre picked out that man Tony Adams and his header found its way into the net off the back of Patterson.

Wiltord got his second on 82 minutes and Ray Parlour popped up to score Arsenal’s fifth to seal the win for the Gunners.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox