Eircom League: Bray win but fail to secure Euro spot

Bray finished their season with their highest ever placing of fourth but it wasn't enough to clinch a European place.

Bray Wanderers 4 St. Patrick's Athletic 1

Bray finished their season with their highest ever placing of fourth but it wasn't enough to clinch a European place.

Martin Russell gave fellow Euro-chasers St. Pat's the lead with a left-foot thunderbolt from 25 yards on 13 minutes.

But Bray hit back through Mick Doohan on 52 minutes.

Jason Byrne then put a rampant Wanderers in front 15 minutes later.

Doohan added his second on 87 minutes with Colm Tresson rowing in with the fourth in stoppage time.

Shamrock Rovers 2 Derry City 3

Rovers slumped to a third defeat on the spin as their sorry season came to an end without a win from their final eight games.

Terry Palmer headed them in front two minutes before the break.

Liam Coyle levelled for Derry on 52 minutes.

Tony Grant jumped Rovers back in front on 71 minutes with another header from a Tommy Dunne cross.

But Derry hit back with an Eddie McCready penalty a minute later before skipper Peter Hutton won it five minutes from time.

Galway United 1 UCD 2

Derek Swan earned UCD the play-off spot with a vital winner at Terryland Park.

Swan slid in on 60 minute to force home at the back post after a shot from John Martin appeared to be going wide.

UCD had brought the game to life on 13 minutes with their lead goal.

Alan Mahon's free-kick was flicked on by skipper Tony McDonnell and Eoin Bennis turned sweetly on the edge of the area to drill home.

Galway made a fight of it and Darragh Sheridan levelled four minutes before the interval after good work from Ollie keogh and Bobby Ryan.

Finn Harps 2 Longford Town 1

Harps five year spell in the top flight ended in relegation despite this rousing win.

Cup finalists Longford came and played and took the lead on the hour through right-back Alan Murphy after great work by Shay Zellor and Stephen Kelly.

Harps were level six mintues later from a scrappy goal; another full-back, Ray Kenny, forcing the ball home in a right scramble.

Kilkenny City 0 Bohemians 5

Bohemians were crowned eircom League Champions as Shelsbourne threw them the title on the final day.

Bohs totally dominated from the start and finally went in front on 31 minutes through Dave Morrison.

That settled any nerves and Bohs strolled through the game scoring at will.

Glen Crowe added the second 21 seconds into the second-half.

Crowe then hit the bar on 53 minutes with Trevor Molloy heading home the rebound to make it 3-0.

It was four on 66 minutes when substitute Alex Nesovic set up Mark Rutherford to scored from close range.

Crowe then added the fifth - his record 25th goal of a Premier Division season - in the final minute as the celebrations began.

Shelbourne 0 Cork City 1

Ollie Cahill ruined Shelbourne's title hopes as his goal earned City an InterToto Cup place.

The only goal came a minute before the break.

Shels had hit the City woodwork twice through Paul Doolin and Richie Foran.

But a quickly set up counterattack sent right-back Alan Carey away down the wing.

He picked out Cahill who scored a quite brilliant goal to win the match as Shels lost a title on the final day for the second time in four years.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox