Mark Boland bags last-minute winner as UCD foil UL to land 43rd Collingwood title

UCD 2 UL 1: Mark Boland was the hero as his last-minute winner secured UCD their 43rd Collingwood Cup at the expense of UL in torrid conditions at the Mardyke.
Mark Boland bags last-minute winner as UCD foil UL to land 43rd Collingwood title

Garbhan Coughlan put the Shannonsiders ahead with a thunderous strike early on, but after weathering a heavy first-half storm, the Dubliners equalised in the second period through Georgie Kelly, before Boland stole the game at the end.

UCD made one change heading into the game with semi-final substitute Colm Feeney in for Gareth Coughlan. UL meanwhile welcomed back Garbhan Coughlan in attack having recovered from a knock sustained against Trinity the day before.

Any questions over his fitness were quickly put to bed as Coughlan smashed home arguably the goal of the tournament to put the Munster outfit into the lead. A long ball by captain Jonathan Hanafin found the onrushing Coughlan who, spotting UCD goalkeeper Niall Corbet off his line, rifled an early volley past the helpless custodian from the edge of the box.

Coughlan was in confident form, and had Dan Tobin in a knot before having his shot saved by a solid Corbet before Andrew Walsh had to be wary as Tom O’Halloran’s shot dipped just over the crossbar at the other end just past the half-hour mark.

UCD netminder Corbet was being kept busy, with a fine save to deny Oisín McMenamin’s low drive, but could but watch as Brian Nolan’s long-range effort smashed off the crossbar before a nervy UCD eventually cleared.

Eventually the Dublin outfit survived to the break, and after stemming the Limerick tide after the resumption they managed an equaliser in the 54th. A cross from the left was missed by Walsh, Gareth Coughlan’s shot was scrambled away on the line, but Georgie Kelly was on hand to head home the equaliser.

Coughlan was a constant threat and Corbet had to be alive to palm away his free-kick before sub Ian Fletcher seized on a defensive error to fire a vicious half-volley just over. At the other end, Kelly should have doubled his tally, but couldn’t hit the target with only the keeper to beat.

Then, in the final minute of regular time a deep cross deflected off Hannafin and Boland was there to smash the ball home from 20 yards out.

Earlier in the day host UCC’s made light work of DCU in the Farquhar Cup final at the Farm. Sean O’Callaghan scored twice in the opening quarter-hour, either side of Daniel Barry’s goal. The Dublin outfit managed a consolation thanks to Chris Mcanely on the hour, but Evan Browne added a fourth.


N Corbet; D Tobin, M Kougon (R McLoughlin 45), T Dent, S Coyne; G Couglan, T O’Halloran (M Boland 70), G O’Neill, J McClelland; T Molloy; G Kelly.


A Walsh; A O’Connor, P O’Connor, A Cowper (B Hooton 62), J Hanafin; A McGrath, C Maguire, B Nolan (I Fletcher 68), O McMenamin; J Collins, G Coughlan.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.291 s