Swans boss Monk fumes at ‘leg-breaker’ tackle

QPR 1 Swansea 1

Swans boss Monk fumes at ‘leg-breaker’ tackle

Swansea manager Garry Monk was furious with what he described as a “leg-breaker” tackle by QPR midfielder Karl Henry on Wayne Routledge during the 1-1 draw at Loftus Road.

Henry’s challenge in the 86th minute went unpunished but Routledge was sent off by referee Anthony Taylor for his reaction to the Rangers midfielder.

Swans substitute Wilfried Bony went on to score an injury-time equaliser, cancelling out Leroy Fer’s first-half strike, but Monk was still seething at Henry’s challenge after the match.

“It’s a leg breaker,” Monk said.

“I think everyone knew in the stadium apart from the official and then the double whammy of our player getting sent off for apparently kicking out.

“He doesn’t kick out at all. I just hope justice is done not just for us but for football in itself.

“I’m losing a bit of faith. It’s hard for us to keep faith when we continually have decisions like this, big moments within games.

“I hope the red card gets rescinded because that will 100% be the right thing to happen.

“We’ll be appealing for sure. My player goes from nearly having his leg broken to getting sent off, I don’t see how that can happen.”

QPR were lucky not to be reduced to 10 men themselves when goalkeeper Rob Green stopped Routledge going through by handling the ball outside the area in the sixth minute with the score still 0-0.

QPR capitalised on their good fortune, gradually establishing a foothold in the game as Charlie Austin saw two shots blocked from close-range.

Swansea’s early momentum had stalled and in the 20th minute, the hosts took the lead as Fer collected the ball 25 yards out and drilled it past Lukas Fabianski for his third goal of the season.

Rangers should have doubled their advantage when a deep cross found Bobby Zamora at the pack post but the striker was unable to keep his header down.

Eduardo Vargas tested Fabianski with a stinging effort from range and the Chilean tried his luck again shortly before the break, smashing Austin’s cross against the outside of the post.

The visitors cranked up the pressure and with 10 minutes to go almost grabbed an equaliser as Ki Sung-yeung’s shot was blocked by Green and Marvin Emnes’ follow-up header was cleared off the line.

Rangers should have put the game to bed on the counter-attack when Vargas found the side-netting but the hosts were given a boost in the 86th minute when Routledge was sent off for an altercation with Karl Henry.

In the 92nd minute, however, it was Bony who added a late twist to the tale, hammering past Green into the top corner to break Rangers’ hearts.

Bony, whose goal was his ninth of the season, is reportedly attracting interest from Manchester City but Monk insists the decision not to start his star striker was purely down to fatigue.

“There’s been a lot of games in this period, that’s why I wanted to rotate the squad,” he said.

On City’s interest, Monk added: “It’s speculation, there’s nothing concrete.”

Harry Redknapp was disappointed his side were unable to hang on for all three points.

“They were two more vital points today we deserved and we needed but we couldn’t hang on for,” Redknapp said.

“We’ve defended for our lives and to concede then was obviously a big blow for us.”

QPR: Green, Isla, Dunne, Caulker, Hill, Vargas, Henry, Barton, Fer, Zamora (Hoilett 83), Austin.

SWANSEA: Fabianski, Rangel, Fernandez, Williams, Taylor, Britton, Ki, Dyer (Emnes 60), Sigurdsson (Bony 71), Routledge, Gomis.

Ref: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox