Leinster SL hold off Munster

The Leinster Senior League reclaimed the Michael Ward Trophy at Turner’s Cross yesterday following a 2-1 victory over the Munster Senior League.

David O’Sullivan put the LSL 1-0 up inside seven minutes before Luke Connolly equalised three minutes later.

John Brophy restored Leinster’s one goal advantage within three minutes and despite a second-half onslaught from Munster, the LSL hung on to claim the trophy for the 14th time.

The MSL were the holders of the trophy which is played out annually over a weekend between the top players from the MSL, LSL, Ulster SL and a Connacht selection, where each side plays each other once in a mini-league. And, after defeating Connacht 2-1 in Blarney on Friday night and Ulster 1-0 at Corinthians Park on Saturday, a draw would have seen Patsy Freyne and Ger Rennie’s side retain the trophy.

The LSL drew their opening game against Ulster 5-5 in Passage on Friday, and then defeated Connacht 3-0 on Saturday at Everton Park, which meant only a win would see the trophy return to Leinster – and manager Liam Kelly’s charges duly obliged.

In the other game played yesterday, Connacht defeated the USL 2-0 at Ringmahon Park.

Meanwhile, in the MSL First Division, Bandon stay top despite dropping their first points of the season after being held to a scoreless draw by Cobh Wanderers in Cobh.

In the other games, Tramore Athletic made it two wins from three games with a 3-1 home victory over Ringmahon Rangers, while Castleview defeated Youghal United 2-1 in Youghal and Carrigaline United drew 2-2 with Leeds at Ballea Park.

The was one FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup first round match played, where Mallow United beat Passage 4-0 in Mallow, while in the Munster Senior Cup second round, Everton beat Glasheen 2-1 at Everton Park.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox