McTiernan the hero as resurgent Sligo send Saints packing

PAUL McTIERNAN was the Sligo hero as the First Division leaders came from behind to cause the shock of the third round to advance to the last eight of the FAI Carlsberg Cup before the biggest crowd of the season at the Showgrounds on Saturday night.

In a thrilling match, McTiernan hit the winner on 70 minutes. Conor O’Grady fed Ian Rossiter on the right and his low cross was sidefooted home from six yards by the Rovers’ striker for his tenth goal of the season.

St. Pat’s rocked Rovers in the 35th minute when they took the lead totally against the run of play.

Paul Donnelly’s through ball saw Chris Armstrong beat the Rovers offside trap. The big striker rounded keeper John O’Hara who had raced way outside his box. The ball ran wide, but Armstrong retained possession and rifled a terrific left-foot shot in off the crossbar from a tight angle.

The lead lasted just six minutes as Rovers levelled. Bosnian Kudozovic was heavily involved, linking up with left-back Kupono Low. Hawaiian Low showed great feet to dribble past two defenders before sweeping the ball home off his weaker right foot.

Elsewhere Derry City moved comfortably through after defeating Kildare County 3-1 at the Brandywell on Saturday but the Candy Stripes had to wait until the early stages of the second half to guarantee their passage.

With the First Division side flooding the centre of the park, the tactics frustrated Derry until one minute before half-time when Peter Hutton played a captain’s role when breaking the deadlock following a corner.

And five minutes into the second half Derry doubled their lead when Gareth McGlynn volleyed Alan Murphy’s flick home.

Derry made it 3-0 in the 54th minute through top scorer Mark Farren.

Kildare did pull a goal back in the 64th minute when Gareth Cooney sent Shay Zellor scampering clear and the striker gave David Forde no chance from 16 yards.

In Saturday night’s third cup game, Longford were held to a 1-1 draw by UCD at Flancare Park.

Longford were the better side for most of the night and hit the front just before the half hour mark when Sean Dillon’s corner was headed towards goal by Andy Myler and the alert Paul Keegan somehow managed to squeeze the ball past Quigley from close range.

Longford dominated for the remainder of the contest. Gary Cronin struck a fine effort against the crossbar in the 68th minute, after running onto Martin’s excellent defence splitting pass.

However, the students were thrown a lifeline in stoppage time when referee Anthony Buttimer awarded them a penalty after a tussle inside the area between home defender Danny O’Connor and UCD midfielder Pat McWalter.

Robbie Martin’s superb spot kick ensured that these two sides will have to do it all again tomorrow night in Belfield.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox