Take Kerr as Roy signs off for Ireland
The curtain finally dropped on Keane’s Ireland career last night as the Manchester United captain issued a statement, claiming the decision was taken on medical advice.
However, the announcement, coming on the eve of his inaugural game as senior manager against Scotland, is a slap in Kerr’s face.
After a fruitful meeting with Keane last week, Kerr thought the Corkman would join the squad in Glasgow this evening.
Keane had agreed to return after talks with Kerr in Manchester last Thursday, but medical advice forced a rethink and a change of heart.
“In our meeting, Brian outlined to me his future plans for the Irish team and I formulated the opinion that the Irish team was in very capable hands,” Keane stated, reiterating his desire to play for Ireland again.
But consultation with the Old Trafford medical staff changed his mind.
“I consulted with my medical team who operated upon my hip last September. The unequivocal advice given to me by my doctors was that I should not return.”
Keane, who has made no secret of his ambition to lift the European Cup before he leaves the game, said the medics left him with little choice but to hang up his green jersey.
The decision is likely to open up the lingering wounds of a split nation last summer.
“I am extremely grateful for all the support I have received in recent months and I am equally sorry that I am unable to play again for my country.
"I wish Brian and the players the best in the future. They will have my full support at all times,” Keane said.
The timing of the statement leaves a sour taste, however.
Keane told Kerr of his decision on Monday night, but the new Irish manager and Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson agreed no statement would be issued until the final whistle went at Hampden Park.
At an impromptu press conference in Kilmarnock last night, Kerr expressed his disappointment about the way the story had come out.
“I had agreed with Sir Alex Ferguson there would be no statement on this issue until the match was over. You can understand I am a little disappointed, but that’s how it goes. We have a match to play and I have a lot of work to get the players ready.”
Roy Keane’s legal adviser, Micheal Kennedy, says he released the news of Keane’s retirement after becoming aware of a leak and that the development was in the public arena.
That Keane has stole his thunder on his big night will matter less to Kerr than having to rescue the Euro 2004 campaign without Ireland’s best player.
“I have accepted his decision,” Kerr said. “And I wish him all the best with the rest of his career. I am going to move on. I have 40 players here who want to play for Ireland.
"I need to move on with the players who want to play for Ireland for the future and that’s what I intend doing.”
Alex Ferguson said it was solely a medical issue and not a footballing decision, while An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said Keane will be sorely missed.
Mick McCarthy, whose fractious relationship with Keane brought his managerial tenure to an end, was impassive about the midfielder’s decision.




