Wasps complete emphatic win over Glasgow

Wasps 38 Glasgow 26

Wasps 38 Glasgow 26

Wasps completed a bonus-point victory over Glasgow at Adams Park to stay within sight of Heineken Cup Pool Six leaders Toulouse.

Joe Simpson, Tom Varndell, Ben Jacobs and Dominic Waldouck crossed for the Aviva Premiership club to lift them into second place, two points behind the champions.

The half-back combination of Simpson and Dave Walder produced another impressive afternoon with the latter kicking 18 points and setting up Varndell’s try.

Simpson was named man of the match and will have caught the eye of England selectors with a dynamic solo try.

Glasgow breached the goalline on two occasions through Ruaridh Jackson and Dougie Hall, but failed to secure a losing bonus-point with a late assault.

Jackson scored all but five of his side’s points in a strong performance that kept the Warriors in touch.

For a match that had six tries, the afternoon was surprisingly flat with Glasgow never really threatening to wrestle control from the home side.

A dominant Wasps scrum enabled the English club to race into an eighth minute lead when a powerful shove saw Simpson dash into space.

The scrum-half spied a gap between opposite number Colin Gregor and winger DTH van der Merwe and turned on the afterburners to race over the line.

Walder missed the conversion and a penalty but then landed three points, shortly after Jackson had got Glasgow off the mark.

The Warriors slipped further behind as they continued to fall foul of referee Pascal Gauzere’s whistle.

Prop Moray Low was sent to the sin bin for hands in the ruck as Gauzere lost patience and Walder kicked his second penalty.

Wasps continued to turn the screw and encountered little difficulty turning their dominance into points.

A clever grubber kick from Walder was touched down by Varndell who outpaced van der Merwe and the Wasps fly-half added the conversion.

Just as the home side were threatening to move out of sight, Glasgow replied when flanker John Barclay chipped through for Jackson to collect and touch down.

The Scotsman slotted the conversion and a penalty to slash the deficit to 18-13, only for Walder to calm home nerves by finding the uprights.

Daylight was restored after patient build-up from Wasps ended when centre Jacobs dummied and then jinked his way over from close range. Walder converted.

The second half opened with Jackson and Walder exchanging penalties and the crowd had to wait until the 64th minute for a meaningful passage of play that saw Wasps add the bonus point.

A series of forward drives ended when the ball was spun wide where Riki Flutey - playing his 50th match for the club – broke into open space.

Flanker Dan Ward-Smith kept the move going before supplying the scoring pass to sub Waldouck with Walder converting.

Glasgow struck back with centre Max Evans starting a passage of play that ended when Henry Pyrgos passed out of the tackle to Dougie Hall who stormed over.

Jackson kicked the conversion and the Warriors were refused a try by the video referee after Graeme Morrison was held up over the line.

Glasgow continued to probe for the bonus point but Wasps’ defence held firm to secure their 15th successive unbeaten home match in the Heineken Cup.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox