Garbajosa a doubt for World Cup

France three-quarter Xavier Garbajosa could miss the World Cup this autumn if he fails to recover fast enough from surgery on his right knee.

France three-quarter Xavier Garbajosa could miss the World Cup this autumn if he fails to recover fast enough from surgery on his right knee.

The Toulouse player last week had parts of a damaged meniscus removed and must wait another two weeks to discover whether he can travel Down Under for the tournament to be staged from October 10 to November 22.

“We will make a medical assessment this afternoon and in two weeks‘ time we will make a decision,” team doctor Thierry Hermerel said at Orly airport.

“This injury is annoying because it came late.”

Garbajosa said: “I cannot say anything except that I can’t run because the operation is recent.”

If Garbajosa does not make it then one of the players on the ‘hidden list‘ of standby players will get the call.

Les Bleus met up at Orly on Wednesday before going to their base at Marcoussis.

They will stay there until Saturday when they will fly to Val d’Isere for training in the Alps.

Before taking the plane to Australia on September 29, France will play four friendlies against Romania in Lens on August 22, England on August 30 in Marseille and on September 6 at Twickenham and finally against the French Barbarians on September 19 in Narbonne.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited