IRFU relief as new government rejects free-to-air plan

THE IRFU last night welcomed the news that proposed legislation calling for Six Nations and Heineken Cup fixtures involving Irish sides to be shown only on free-to-air TV channels has been consigned to the dustbin by the new government.

Former Communications Minister Eamon Ryan suggested the move last year, prompting a vehement reaction from the Irish union which claimed it would cost the game here anything up to €12m annually.

“It’s very encouraging news that is emanating from the new government partners,” said an IRFU spokesperson.

“We look forward to sitting down with the relevant government department and discussing it in greater detail.”

News of the policy’s rejection came in the new programme for government paper entitled ‘Government for National Recovery 2011-2016’ where it was dealt with very briefly under the communications section.

“We will maintain the current regime in regard to the Heineken Cup,” said the document.

As things stand, Ireland’s Six Nations games are broadcast live on RTÉ while Sky holds the rights for live Heineken Cup games.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited