Gleeson pledges future to Lions

KEITH GLEESON is the latest high profile rugby player to continue to ply his trade in Ireland.

Gleeson last night signed a two-year deal with Leinster, who earlier this year also secured similar contract extensions from Brian O’Driscoll and Malcolm O’Kelly.

Said Gleeson: “I am really pleased to commit my immediate future to Leinster and Ireland. I believe that both Leinster and Ireland are moving in the right direction and I’m proud to be a part of such an excellent group of players. There is a lot of excitement around Leinster at the moment, with the Toulouse game on the horizon, and hopefully my recent form can act as a springboard to get me back in the Ireland squad.”

Gleeson was this week awarded the Bank of Scotland (Ireland) Leinster Player of the Month for January - an award he also received in November.

He continued: “It means a lot that this award was voted for by the supporters themselves because the support that we received throughout January was incredible in both the Celtic League and the Heineken Cup and hopefully there will be more to cheer about in the coming weeks and months.”

Leinster coach Michael Cheika expressed satisfaction with the new deal.

“Keith has been in outstanding form this season and he is developing his game to a new level, which is setting high standards for many of our young players to aspire to. His leadership and work ethic epitomise the type of player we are profiling in our recruitment and retention programme and he is highly regarded as an invaluable member of our squad. His decision to stay with Leinster is a huge positive for the club and a reflection of the positive culture the players are breeding into the Leinster camp.”

Meanwhile, the Welsh Rugby Union has told its staff that caretaker coach Scott Johnson is likely to leave at the end of the Six Nations championship. A WRU spokesperson said the WRU has already drawn up plans to find a new coach.

Johnson confirmed on Thursday he has received an offer from new Australia coach John Connolly to become an assistant coach with the Wallabies.

“I am considering an offer John has made to join his team,” Johnson said.

“At present I am concentrating all my efforts on preparing the team for the Italy game.” Johnson has been offered a three-year deal with the Wallabies, who are also keen to recruit Bath’s Michael Foley as forwards coach.

“I have not agreed a contract with the Australian Rugby Union,” Johnson said.

“I have said all along that I would love to remain in Wales if I can resolve some of my personal issues in Australia.

“At present, I am concentrating all my efforts on preparing the team for the games against Italy and France and I won’t be allowing anything to get in the way of that.”

Johnson, a skills coach with Wales since February 2001, was put in temporary charge of the national side following Mike Ruddock’s shock departure a fortnight ago.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited