Bruff go top after win over Crosshaven

BRUFF returned to the top of the Heineken Munster Junior League on points difference as three Tipperary sides booked their place in the semi-finals of the Munster Junior Cup on a hectic day in the junior rug

Cup holder’s Kilfeacle had to rely on a penalty from Packie Hallissey in injury time for a dramatic 13-11 home win over UL Bohemian to book their place in the last four of the competition.

Two penalties from Robert Desmond and a try by Ronan Likely gave the visitors the perfect star, as they raced to an 11-0 lead after 12 minutes.

PJ McLoughlin opened the home side’s account with a try in the 25th minute and shortly after the break he went in for his second to close the gap to a point.

The visitors looked like they were going to cause an upset, but constant pressure by the home side was eventually rewarded with Hallissey’s strike.

Nenagh Ormond won the all-Tipperary clash with Clanwilliam in an exciting 28-11 tie.

This game was dominated by both kickers, with the lead changing hands on several occasions.

It was 12-12 at half time. Deep into injury time Nenagh were ahead 21-18 when Michael Fogarty got in for the game’s only try, converted by Liam Delaney.

Delaney kicked six penalties, a dropped goal and a conversion for the winners, while Eamon Buckley replied with five penalties and a dropped goal for Clanwilliam.

Alan Early was the star in Clonmel’s 16-9 win over St Mary’s. He scored all his side’s points in the opening half, a try, conversion and three penalties for a 16-3 half time lead. The Second Division side replied with three penalties from Mark Phayer.

Cork Constitution beat Thurles 26-0 at Temple Hill. A try from Brian Walsh, converted by Padraig Cremin, gave the home side a 7-0 interval lead. The winners added further tries by Walsh, Darren Keane and Ronan O'Sullivan, with Cremin converting two of them.

With two games remaining in the First Division of the Munster Junior League, Bruff have taken over top spot from Nenagh Ormond on points difference. They made sure of all five points with a 38-20 win over Crosshaven.

Richard Daly put Crosshaven ahead after a minute, with a dropped goal. Adrian O’Brien put Bruff ahead on 18 minutes with a try, which Michael Lynch converted. Two further tries from Martin O’Rourke and Brian Cahill, both converted by Lynch, made it 21-3.

A try from Peter Scanell, converted by Daly, made it 21-10 at the break. A try from Pierce O’Brien closed the gap early in the second half, but two quick tries from James Ryan, both converted by Lynch, put the game beyond the visitors.

O’Brien scored a third try for Crosshaven and Lynch completed the scoring with a last-minute penalty.

Castleisland moved closer to relegation after their 27-11 defeat by Cobh Pirates. The Kerry side led 11-10 at half time with two penalties from DJ Cronin and a try from Padraig Shanahan.

The Pirates replied with a try from James Murphy and a conversion and a penalty from John Ahern.

The visitors lost their discipline in the second half and at one stage had three players in the sin-bin.

Ahern took advantage, kicking four penalties for the home side. Martin Buckley completed a miserable afternoon for the Kerry side, with a try in injury time for the Pirates.

Bandon had a 27-10 win at home to Richmond.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox