The seven-year-old Cloneen Choice (4/1) disputed the running until going on from half-way and he seemed a sitting target for the closing Carraig Thuathail and Barramundi on the run to the penultimate of the 13 obstacles.
Carraig Thuathail actually hit the front briefly after two out except that Cloneen Choice fought back determinedly for Ciaran Fennessy and the triumphant son of Milan was the faster in the air at the last.
The victorious seven-year-old then got on top on the flat to dismiss Carraig Thuathail by one and a half lengths.
Cloneen Choice is the only horse that Don Browne from Cloneen outside Carrigtwohill currently has in harness at present. Browne indicated that his father Donal’s homebred will be seen in action on the racecourse proper later in the year.
Colin Bowe continued his stellar season by landing a double with Barry O’Neill’s assistance and the pair got off the mark courtesy of the Beneficial-sired newcomer Benechenko (9/4) in the first division of the four-year-old geldings’ maiden. Benechenko, owned by Deirdre Bowe who’s a cousin-in-law of the winning handler, came from off the pace to overtake Minella Rebellion as the line approached.
O’Neill barely had to strain a sinew aboard One Forty Seven (2/1), Bowe’s 16th individual four-year-old winner of the campaign, in the second part of this same contest.
One Forty Seven, representing Brendan Murphy from Bunclody, made smooth progress from the rear to lead after the second last en-route to disposing of the patiently-ridden Go Another One by two and a half lengths.
Pat Collins, who recorded his 100th career success at Lisronagh two days earlier, likewise partnered two winners and he signed off aboard Slieverue-based owner/trainer Ian Power’s Coroner’s Report (7/2) in the first division of the five-year-old geldings’ maiden.
Coroner’s Report found his passage blocked a few times on the inner from the third last, but he still came through to challenge approaching the last and he got on top inside the final 100 yards to beat Smartplan by two lengths.
Collins was earlier on the mark aboard Sean Thomas Doyle’s Marble Moll (8/1), who was returning from a five-month break, in the five-year-old mares’ maiden. Marble Moll struck the front after the second last to dispense with Doesn’tbotherme by two lengths.
Doesn’tbotherme’s rider Jamie Codd still featured amongst the winners for the current championship leader combined with his brother William to land the second part of the five-year-old geldings’ maiden aboard The Wise One (5/1). Fitted with cheekpieces, The Wise One made his way into pole position before the final fence to beat Lion Of Lackabane by three lengths.
The Wise One is due to be offered at the Goffs UK sale at Doncaster later this month and another with a date at the popular south Yorkshire auction ring is Kings Eclipse (3/1) who readily stepped up from his most recent fifth-placed Dromahane effort by landing the closing six-year-old and upwards geldings’ maiden for novice riders.
Tattersalls Ireland Cheltenham Sales 4-Y-O Geldings’ Maiden (1st Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) Mrs D Bowe’s Benechenko br g (Beneficial – Beann Ard) 11-10 Mr B O’Neill
2) Ms B Rochford’s Minella Rebellion 11-10 Mr J J Codd
3) T Cooper’s Fridaynightlights 11-10 Mr M J O’Connor
9 ran. Nk, 8L, 1/2L. (Winner trained by Colin Bowe)
Tattersalls Ireland Cheltenham Sales 4-Y-O Geldings’ Maiden (2nd Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) B A Murphy’s One Forty Seven b g (Beneficial – Still Bubbly) 11-10 Mr B O’Neill
2) Mrs L Motherway’s Go Another One 11-10 Mr J J Codd
3) M G Kennedy’s Bulls Head 11-10 Mr C W Fennessy
9 ran. 2 1/2L, 4L, 8L. (Winner trained by Colin Bowe)
Christy Buckley Auctioneer 5-Y-O Mares’ Maiden of €800. 3 Miles
1) Monbeg Syndicate’s Marble Moll b m (Scorpion – Ann Hathaway) 11-10 Mr P D Collins
2) W Devereux’s Doesn’tbotherme 11-10 Mr J J Codd
3) Ms N C Kelly’s Stylish Eilish 11-10 Mr M J O’Connor
13 ran. 2L, 2L, 2L. (Winner trained by Sean Thomas Doyle)
Singletons SuperValu 5-Y-O Geldings’ Maiden (1st Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) I A Power’s Coroner’s Report b g (Coroner – My Linda) 12-1 Mr P D Collins
2) J Dullea’s Smartplan 11-10 Mr S J O’Donovan
3) T Cooper’s Hecansting 12-1 Mr B O’Neill
10 ran. 1 1/2L, Nk, 8L. (Winner trained by Ian Andrew Power)
Singletons SuperValu 5-Y-O Geldings’ Maiden (2nd Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) Rinn Dubhain Syndicate’s The Wise One b g (Tikkanen – Mary Mac Swiney) 12-1 Mr J J Codd
2) M Spillane’s Lion Of Lackabane 12-1 Mr R O Harding
3) C Hickey’s May’s Milan 12-1 Mr E P O’Brien
10 ran. 3L, 10L, 1L. (Winner trained by W F Codd)
Kielys Precast Winners Of Two of €1, 000. 3 Miles
1) D Browne’s Cloneen Choice b g (Milan – Cloneen Princess) 7-12-1 Mr C W Fennessy
2) N O’Neill’s Carraig Thuathail 7-12-1 Mr P D Collins
3) C Griffin’s Barramundi 6-12-1 Mr J J Codd
4 ran. 2L, 3L, Dist. (Winner trained by Don Browne)
FBD, Castle Hotel Blarney & Pegus Horse Feeds 5-Y-O & Upwards Adjacent Hunts Maiden of €800. 3 Miles
1) Mrs M Twohig’s Bobby Cullen ch g (Bob Back – Peggy Cullen) 10-12-1 Mr C McSweeney
2) P J Hammond’s Knocknamona 6-12-1 Mr E M O’Sullivan
3) A Hickey’s Chase The Clouds 8-12-1 Mr M D Hickey
1 ran. Nk, 12L, 2L. (Winner trained by Mrs Mary Twohig)
Cork Recycling Company Novice Riders 6-Y-O & Upwards Maiden of €800. 3 Miles
1) T Leonard’s Kings Eclipse b g (Double Eclipse – Good Times Ahead) 6-12-1 Mr J J O’Connor
2) Long Meadow Partnership’s Fraction Man 6-12-1 Mr D J Mangan
3) J Murphy’s Trixiebarry 11-12-1 Mr D P Murphy
7 ran. 6L, 1 1/2L, 8L. (Winner trained by Terence Leonard