Andrea Atzeni set for ride on Postponed at Ascot

Andrea Atzeni is set to ride Postponed in Saturday’s King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot.

Andrea Atzeni set for ride on Postponed at Ascot

Atzeni has partnered the horse in seven of his 11 career starts, including when winning the Great Voltigeur Stakes at York last term.

His position as retained jockey to Qatar Racing had precluded him from riding the Luca Cumani-trained four-year-old this term, with Adam Kirby taking over in the saddle for each of his three starts, most recently when third in the Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot.

However, Cumani has confirmed Atzeni will now be reunited with his old ally in Saturday’s Group One showpiece. He said: “(Owner) Sheikh Mohammed Obaid has decided to give the ride to Andrea, as he won on the horse last year.”

Kirby’s ride in the Hardwicke attracted some strong criticism from John Gosden, who trained the runner-up Eagle Top, but when asked if the decision was a reflection of that performance, Cumani said: “I don’t know, I didn’t ask that.”

Kirby is tentatively booked for a handful of rides at Newmarket on Saturday and his agent Nicky Adams declined to comment on the situation.

Meanwhile Aidan O’Brien is responsible for 16 of the 29 entries in this year’s Ladbrokes St Leger at Doncaster on September 12.

Aloft, Bondi Beach, Giovanni Canaletto, Highland Reel, Order Of St George and the fillies Together Forever and Wedding Vow are among his huge army.

Hugo Palmer has entered impressive Irish Oaks winner Covert Love while Storm The Stars, placed in two Derbys, is currently 5-1 favourite with the sponsors. Mr Singh, Balios and Jack Naylor are other possibles to catch the eye.

Mikel Delzangles will make a decision as to whether he sends over Vengeur Masque following his run in the Prix De Reux next month.

Although the French handler feels the unexposed three-year old is a talented individual, he has warned that an outing in the final Classic of the season at Doncaster hinges on his performance in the extended mile-and-a-half Group Three contest at Deauville on August 9.

Should Vengeur Masque take his place in the Group One contest at Town Moor, he would be Delzangles’ first runner in the race.

Delzangles said: “Vengeur Masque is very well. He is going to run in the Prix de Reux at Deauville on August 9 and after that we will decide if he is good enough to go to Doncaster.

“They were nice performances the last two times. The form of the races is OK - the horse he beat won a big handicap subsequently – but definitely not enough to prove that he is good enough to go for the St Leger. He has got to prove himself in a Group race first.

“I do feel he is a quality horse though and he is improving all the time. He is very laid back and will love going the extra distance.”

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox