George Groves has been added to the bumper undercard of the Nathan Cleverly-Tony Bellew rematch in Liverpool next month as he bids to strengthen his claims for another world title shot.
The Londoner (20-2, 15KOs) bounced back from his two losses to WBA and IBF champion Carl Froch by claiming a points victory over Christopher Rebrasse last month in what was billed as a final eliminator to face WBC super-middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell.
But the 26-year-old Groves will now put that on the line at the Echo Arena on November 22 when he challenges Denis Douglin.
The American has won 17 of his 20 professional contests and although he is not ranked among the top contenders and has not fought outside the United States, Groves will not take the challenge lightly and admitted staying active was his main motivation for taking the fight.
“I’m looking forward to getting back in the ring,” said Groves.
“This is a chance for me to impress on a big card. I plan to steal the show. It’s a calculated risk, lose this fight and I lose my shot at Dirrell.
“But I want to stay active, I want to box as regularly as possible and I’m confident I can get the job done.”
Douglin has won his last three fights since stepping up in weight following back-to-back defeats to Jermell Charlo and Jose Angel Rodriguez.
“This is a big opportunity for me,” said Douglin. “Win this fight and I’m a step closer to realising my dream of becoming world champion.”
The bill also features Groves’ domestic rival James DeGale, London 2012 gold medallist Anthony Joshua, WBA World super-bantamweight champion Scott Quigg and WBA World bantamweight title holder Jamie McDonnell.