Auckland gets first Cup call-up
James Auckland has been handed a first call-up to Great Britain’s team for the Davis Cup tie against Serbia & Montenegro next month.
He joins British number one Andy Murray, number two Greg Rusedski and number five Arvind Parmar in Jeremy Bates’ squad for the match at Glasgow’s Braehead Arena.
Norwich-born Auckland turns 26 on April 1, six days before the Europe/Africa Group play-off tie begins, and is 10th in the British singles rankings but a superior doubles player.
He is Britain’s highest-ranked doubles player, at 123rd in the world, and partnered Murray in San Jose last month.
“I am delighted to be able to pick a squad of players who are in excellent form and who are relishing this tie,” said Bates.
“We have a wonderful opportunity to earn ourselves a place in the September World Group play-offs and I know the team are determined to give everything they have to make that a reality.”
Murray suffered a disappointing first-round defeat to Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka last night in Miami, while Rusedski is in action later today, looking to get his season going after four defeats in six matches so far.
The tie will be Murray’s first since overtaking Tim Henman to become British number one, and his achievements this season – including the singles title at San Jose – means he will be the player Britain lean on for points. Henman has since slipped behind Rusedski in the rankings.
“Andy is obviously playing exceptionally well and has continued to show he is a world class player on the ATP tour,” said Bates.
“I am delighted that Greg is back playing again and continuing to show that he has the ability to beat the world’s best players.
“The team are hugely excited to be playing in front of a home crowd and I have no doubt that the supporters will create a fantastic atmosphere at the Braehead Arena.
“The Serbian team has several world-class players in it and while this will be a tough tie, it is one we are looking forward to with confidence.”




