Third-quarter blitz sees Clare whiz past Waterford

Gavin Cooney hit two goals for the Banner.

Third-quarter blitz sees Clare whiz past Waterford


A devastating third-quarter burst saw Clare defeat Waterford in this McGrath Cup dead rubber at Miltown Malbay.

With both sides out of contention for a place in the final, the managers used the tie to run the rule over some fringe players ahead of the League.

Waterford led 2-5 to 1-4 at the break but a storming Clare comeback on the restart changed the complexion of the game.

Waterford’s Brian Lynch and Clare’s Gearoid O’Brien traded points in the opening minutes before a goal from visiting full forward Darragh Corcoran fired them 1-3 to 0-2 ahead after 19 minutes. Three minutes late Lynch had Waterford’s second goal following a good hand-pass from corner-forward Ferghal Ó Cuirrin. Home fans had something to cheer before the break when captain Gordon Kelly and Darren O’Neill set up Cian O’Dea for a fine goal.

Then came the Banner backlash with 2-2 in the opening six minutes: Gavin Cooney netted twice while Gearoid O’Brien and Jack Morrissey had points.

Clare pushed on from there aided by the introduction of experienced sub-Eoin Cleary off the bench. Waterford failed to score for 23 minutes as Clare opened an eight point lead.

Waterford had a late goal through Michael Curry but by this stage, the game was up.

Clare boss Colm Collins said: “I was disappointed with a lot of things in the first half. We tidied things up a bit after the break and tried to put pressure on their kick-out.

“I feel there was a big improvement after half the time. The lads came out with a different attitude in the second half.

“I think they nailed their colours to the mast with a couple of very good scores after half time and they drove on.”

Scorers for Clare: G Cooney (2-2, 2f), C O’Dea (1-0), J Morrissey (0-3, (1f), E Cleary (0-3, 1f), G O’Brien (0-3), D Masterson (0-1), D Coughlan (0-1), D Tubridy (1f)

Scorers for Waterford: D Corcoran (1-2), B Lynch (1-1), M Curry (1-1), J Curry (0-3, 2f).

CLARE: N Murray, J Sheedy, C Brennan, G Kelly (Capt.), A Sweeney, C O’Dea, S Collins, D Lernihan, C O’Connor, D Masterson, G O’Brien, D Coughlan, G Cooney, D O’Neill, J Morrissey.

Subs: E Cleary for Lernihan (half time), D Tubridy for Cooney (39), P Lillis for O’Dea (39), E McMahon for O’Neill (56), K O’Brien for Sweeney (61).

WATERFORD: D Daniels, A Jones, D O’Cathasaigh, D Ryan, M Kiely, S O’Donovan, M Curry, J Curry, B Lynch, C Murray, S Curry, R Flynn, F O’ Cuirrin, D Corcoran, C Kirwan.

Subs: J Gleeson for Murray inj. (31), P Hunt for Daniels (half-time), N McSweeney for O’Donovan (half-time), J Beresford for Jones inj. (44), D Fitzgerald for O’Cuirrin (50).

Referee: K Jordan (Tipperary)

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Execution Time: 0.262 s