Late goal gives Dublin a draw against Tyrone

Dublin plundered a point with a late Dean Rock goal at Croke Park, robbing Tyrone of a win they looked certain to claim.

Late goal gives Dublin a draw against Tyrone

Dublin 1-09 Tyrone 0-12

Dublin plundered a point with a late Dean Rock goal at Croke Park, robbing Tyrone of a win they looked certain to claim.

With just one win from four outings, the Dubs are in danger of being drawn into a relegation battle, and on the evidence of this display, they have plenty of work to do.

The Red Hands defended heroically for most of the game, but one lapse in the 69th minute allowed top-scorer Rock in to punch Eoghan O’Gara’s cross to the net.

Sean Cavanagh and Dean Rock traded early points from placed balls, and a rare Justin McMahon score had the Red Hands back in front.

A Cavanagh free hoisted high into the air clipped the tip of a post, but Hawk-Eye awarded the point.

A tidy move involving Jonny Cooper and Kevin McManamon finished with Rock sweeping over his second score on 12 minutes, and Bernard Brogan, making his first start of the season, hit the equaliser.

The opening quarter ended with rookie midfielder Padraig McNulty skipping past two defenders to nudge the Red Hands back in front

But with Tomas Brady winning break ball and Philly McMahon probing from deep, the Dublin threat was mounting, and goalkeeper Niall Morgan had to be sharp to keep out a Nicky Devereux snapshot, after a Brogan effort had come back off a post.

Rock knocked over another couple of frees to being the home side level by the 32nd minute

But they just couldn’t get their noses in front, McManamon and Brogan kept well in check by Cathal McCarron and Ronan McNamee.

They went in level on 0-6 each at the break, but Tyrone were soon back in front with another Cavanagh free.

The Dubs pushed numbers forward, but were forced to shoot from distance as a phalanx of Tyrone defenders pressed incessantly.

The result was a rash of frustrating wides, and they were forced onto the back foot as the Red Hands attacked on the counter.

Some superb defending from Jonny Cooper denied Aidan McCrory and then Padraig McNulty, and having survived a sticky spell, Jim Gavin’s side finally got their first score of the second half in the 45th minute through Emmet O Conghaile.

Tyrone were defending with discipline and breaking incisively, and once again opened up a two points lead with tidy points from Mattie Donnelly and Barry Tierney.

Rock and Paul Flynn were on target to bring the sides level, but once again, Mickey Harte’s men rallied, and debutant Mark Bradley hit the target, along with McCurry, to make it 0-11 to 0-9 with ten minutes to play.

Justin McMahon and Cathal McCarron, until he went off injured, were supreme at the back for Tyrone, holding the Dubs scoreless for almost 15 minutes, until they struck for that sucker punch with little over a minute to play.

Dublin: S Cluxton, E Culligan, R O’Carroll, J Cooper, N Devereux, P McMahon, J McCaffrey, D Bastick, E O Conghaile (0-1), T Brady, D Rock (1-6, 0-4f), C Kilkenny, K McManamon, P Andrews, B Brogan (0-1).

Subs: C O’Sullivan for Bastick (28), E O’Gara for Andrews (h-t), P Flynn (0-1) for Kilkenny (h-t), J McCarthy for McMahon (58), S Carthy for O Conghaile (63), C Costello for Brady (66)

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-1, f), A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, R McNabb, J McMahon (0-1), P Harte, C Cavanagh, P McNulty (0-1), T McCann, M Donnelly (0-1), B Tierney (0-1), D McCurry (0-2, 2f), S Cavanagh (0-4, 4f), C McShane.

Subs: M Bradley (0-1) for McShane (h-t). PJ Lavery for McCaffrey (54), C McCann for Tierney (65)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.