Corofin in charge against Ballintubber

Corofin 2-13 Ballintubber 1-7

Corofin in charge against Ballintubber

Corofin 2-13 Ballintubber 1-7

Corofin never looked troubled as they captured their sixth AIB Connacht Senior Football title at Elverys MacHale Park this afternoon.

Both of Corofin’s goals came within a two-minute spell in the third quarter, with Gary Sice 38th minute effort opening up a seven-point gap, before Ian Burke extended their lead on a 2-9 to 0-4 score-line.

Corofin also had some point taking throughout, with scores from Ian Burke, Michael Lundy, Martin Farragher and Mike Farragher on target in the opening half.

Cillian O’Connor kept the Mayo champions in touch, registering all four of their first half scores, as Corofin led by 0-7 to 0-4 at the interval.

Corofin were ruthless on the restart, as they opened up a 2-10 to 0-4 lead, but Ballintubber never gave up.

An Alan Dillon goal gave them a life-line at the start of the final quarter, but Corofin had laid the foundations for victory, and held out for a six-point win.

This decider pitted two sides at the opposite end of the spectrum in their latest hunt for Connacht SFC honours.

Ballintubber were hoping for a first ever title, while Corofin were aiming to secured a first provincial crown since 2009, having already captured five Connacht titles.

Corofin never looked like losing this final, with Gary Sice in inspirational form.

Sice bagged 1-2 and the Man of the Match award, on a day where Corofin clicked well, with Ian Burke also impressing, as the young full-forward registered 1-5.

0-7 to 0-4 ahead at the interval, Corofin were always on top, with Ballintubber relying hugely on the contribution of Cillian O’Connor from placed balls.

Burke and Sice were in superb form throughout, and continued to impress in the second half.

Ballintubber struggled in key sectors, with Burke, Lundy and the Farraghers continuing to impress.

Dillon’s goal handed Ballintubber a life-line, but Corofin had one hand on the cup, following their quick goal brace, and held out for a nine-point win.

After the game Corofin captain Michael Farragher accepted the Shane McGettigan Cup.

Corofin: T Healy; L Silke, K Fitzgerald 90-1), C Silke; G Higgins, C McGrath, A Burke; D Burke, R Steede (0-1); G Sice (1-2), Mike Farragher (0-1), G Delaney (0-1); Martin Farragher (0-1), M Lundy (0-1), I Burke (1-5, 1f). Subs: D Wall for Martin Farragher (48); C Cunningham for C Silke (BC 56); J Canney for Mike Farragher (60); P Kelly for McGrath (60); M Comer for Steede (60).

Ballintubber: B Walsh; D Larkin, C Hallinan, B Murphy; M Kelly, M Plunkett, R O’Connor; J Gibbons, S Broderick; A Plunkett, D O’Connor, D Coleman, P O’Connor, C O’Connor (0-6, 5f), A Dillon (1-1). Subs: R Geraghty for P O’Connor (34); D Summerville for Plunkett (39); J Geraghty for Larkin (43); D Geraghty for Broderick (58)

Referee: Paddy Neilan (Roscommon)

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd