Tight defending hands Waterford the win


Tight defending hands Waterford the win


14-man Waterford made it back-to-back home wins in Division 1A as Pauric Mahony struck 1-8 to down the Dubs by 1-13 to 1-10.

Mahony's 23rd-minute goal had them 1-10 to 0-8 ahead at half-time. Michael Walsh was sent off on a straight red on 29 minutes for a clash with Alan McCrabbe.

The Déise defended defiantly to cling on to their lead with Stephen O'Keeffe outstanding. Conor McCormack saw red before Dublin's Conal Keaney claimed a consolation goal.

In a dour battle at Walsh Park, with ferocious effort on both sides, the Déise held firm. In front of of attendance of 4,363 they sent the home fans away in upbeat mood after a united defensive performance during the second period.

In a heroic defence, goalkeeper O'Keeffe pulled off a dazzling second half save and the full-back line of Tadhg Bourke, Shane Fives and Noel Connors agitated the Metropolitans.

Dublin spent 28 minutes of the second half without registering a score, and Keaney's last-minute major was not enough to reel in Derek McGrath's men.

Dublin began brightly through McCrabbe, Keaney and David O'Callaghan to establish an early three-point gap. That was wiped out with a Kevin Moran point and two frees from Mahony to leave the sides level at 0-5 apiece.

A pair of Seamus Prendergast points nudged Waterford ahead for the first time. Mahony then pounced after a scramble between Peter Kelly and Prendergast to cut loose and blast beyond the dive of Gary Maguire for 1-8 to 0-7.

Six minutes later, the home crowd were stunned when referee Cathal McAllister flashed a straight red card to Michael Walsh after a collision with McCrabbe. With Kevin Moran relocated to number six, Waterford continued in the same vein. Mahony finished the half with 1-6 to see them depart five in front.

Mahony extended that to six within four minutes of the restart through another placed ball. The Dubs were struggling with their shooting and hit three wides in succession. Waterford stopper O'Keeffe then saved a point blank effort from substitute Eamon Dillon on 55 minutes.

A brilliant block by Bourke set up substitute Brian O'Sullivan as Waterford were coping well in difficult circumstances. McCrabbe finally opened Dublin's second half account from a '65' after 63 minutes. Conor McCormack then saw red for a high challenge on Jamie Nagle.

Dublin came with a late surge to nearly catch Waterford cold. A defensive slip allowed Keaney to sneak in for a goal in the final minute. Dillon tacked on a point in injury-time.

With the pressure building, the home side emerged with a free in the last play to raise the spirits of the white and blue followers. The high levels of intensity and work-rate were again on show from a Waterford side that refused to surrender.

WATERFORD: S O'Keeffe; T Bourke, S Fives, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, Philip Mahony; K Moran (0-1), S McNulty; R Barry, S Molumphy S O'Sullivan; R Donnelly (0-1), S Prendergast (0-2), Pauric Mahony (1-8, 0-6f, 0-1 '65').

Subs used: B O'Sullivan (0-1) for Donnelly, S Roche for McNulty (both 46 mins), E Barrett for Barry (56), B Coughlan for Prendergast (58), G O'Brien for Molumphy (63).

DUBLIN: G Maguire; C O'Callaghan, P Kelly, N Corcoran; S Durkin, L Rushe, M Carton; J Boland (0-1), J McCaffrey (0-1); R O'Dwyer, A McCrabbe (0-3, 0-2f, 0-1 '65'), C Cronin (0-1); D O'Callaghan (0-2), C Keaney (1-1), M Schutte.

Subs used: E Dillon (0-1) for Schutte (44 mins), S McGrath for O'Callaghan (59), C McCormack for Cronin (59).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork)

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up