Cavan overcome spirited London

Cavan 1-17 London 1-8

Cavan overcome spirited London

Cavan 1-17 London 1-8

Cavan booked their place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals when they overcame a spirited London side who ran out of steam in the second-half.

London’s great adventure came to an end but they were applauded off the field after another gutsy display.

However, Cavan just held too much firepower for them and pulled away in the second-half after turning around level.

It looked like it would be an easy win for Cavan when they slipped into lead of 0-6 to 0-1 after just 15 minutes.

London were first off the mark with a point from Cathal Magee but Cavan took over after that with Martin Dunne landing four points, two of them frees, and Fergal Flanagan and Martin Reilly also finding the range.

Neither side stuck to a standard team formation with the result that huge spaces developed through the field and London made good use of that.

Lorcan Mulvey reduced the margin with a free after 16 minutes and then Paul Geraghty managed to connect to a cross from the right by Greg Crowley to fist home a goal and make it 0-6 to 1-2 after 19 minutes.

Dunne responded with another free for Cavan but London were continuing to grow in confidence and Ciaran McCallion kicked two excellent points from the right-wing to level the match after 24 minutes.

Geraghty then edged the Exiles in front four minutes from the break with a good point before Tomas Corr landed two quick points for Cavan to go a point up.

But London deservedly got back on level terms with another free from Mulvey to leave it 1-6 to 0-9 at the interval.

London had the breeze behind them in the second-half but it was Cavan who went in front with Cian Mackey and Eugene Keating kicking points, but Mulvey kept London in touch with another free.

However, Cavan got on top and Feargal Flanagan and David Givney made it 0-13 to 1-7 after 52 minutes.

Caolan Doyle kicked a good point from 45 metres for London but it was Cavan who pulled away. Dunne converted another free and Givney went forward to pick off two more points, with Keating adding a free in between to leave it 0-17 to 1-8 with six minutes left.

London needed a goal to get back in the game but Cavan goalkeeper Alan O’Hara did well to deny Damien Dunleavy.

And then Cavan sealed the issue when sub Niall McDermott, after combining with Mackey, blasted home a late goal to book their place in the quarter-finals.

Cavan: A O’Mara; J McEnroe, R Dunne, K Clarke; A Clarke, D O’Reilly, F Flanagan; T Corr (0-2), D Givney (0-3); C Mackey (0-1), J Brady, F Flanagan (0-2); M Reilly (0-1, 45), M Dunne (0-6, 4f), E Keating (0-2, 1f).

Subs: D McVitty for McEnroe (47), J McLoughlin for Corr (58), N McDermott (1-0) for Brady (61), K Brady for Flanagan (65), M McKeever for Mackey (69).

London: D Traynor; S Curran, D McGreeby, P Butler; S Hannon, S Mulligan, C Og Greene; C Doyle (0-1), P Geraghty (1-1); C McCallion (0-2), D Dunleavy, G Crowley; T Gaughan, L Mulvey (0-3, 3f), C Magee (0-1).

Subs: D O’Neill for Hannon (43), S Kelly for McCallion (43), C Daly for Crowley (46), B Collins for Butler (50), E O’Neill for Doyle (58).

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.