Late points from Sweeney and Conlon secure replay

Leitrim 0-13 London 2-7

Late points from Sweeney and Conlon secure replay

Leitrim 0-13 London 2-7

Late points from Darren Sweeney and Kevin Conlon sealed a replay for Leitrim as London narrowly failed to reach a first ever Connacht final in Carrick-on Shannon.

London hit goals in each half through Lorcan Mulvey and Sean Kelly as Paul Coggins men looked like causing another major upset.

But the sides must now meet again to determine who meets Mayo in the Connacht final on July 21st.

The early indications were not too good for Leitrim's hopes as skipper Emlyn Mulligan started with a heavy strapping on his right calf.

And by the 15th minute the St Brigid's forward had limped off, with his last action being to kick a simple free for his side.

But even with Mulligan on the field, London displayed little fear for the Leitrim challenge.

The home side took the lead inside the first minute when Paddy McGowan's long delivery into the Leitrim forward line hopped fortuitously over the bar.

With Paul Brennan operating a sweeping role in front of his full-back line, London wing-back Seamus Hannon took advantage of his freedom and scored a fine point on the run in the third minute to get London off the mark.

London's physicality was apparent immediately and with Barry Mitchell and Ciaran McCallion proving efficient under the breaking ball, Paul Coggins' side began to claim a foothold.

Darren Sweeney slotted a fine point for Leitrim to give them the lead again, but the Exiles took the lead for the first time in the eighth minute when Padraig McGoldrick and McCallion both pointed.

After losing Mulligan, Leitrim managers Barney Breen and George Dugdale sniffed danger and their troops immediately upped their efforts around the middle.

Consequently three quck scores arrived from James Glancy, Brendan Brennan and McGowan, all of which we well worked scores graced with slick hands.

Bu a minute from the break London hit the front again when Mulvey bundled the ball into the Leitrim net after keeper Cathal McCrann failed to hold on to Cathal Magee's long punt into the square.

The goal stunned the home side and gave London a 1-4 to 0-6 lead at the break, but Leitrim recovered well after the break with four points, with a 45 from Declan Trainor the sole reply for the Exiles.

However, they looked certain winners when Kelly hooked the ball past McCrann 11 minutes from time, only for Leitrim to clinch the draw with Conlon's late point.


Leitrim: K Conlon 0-3 (2f), P McGowan 0-2, D Sweeney 0-2, B Brennan 0-2, P Brennan 0-1, J Glancy 0-1, R Lowe 0-1, E Mulligan 0-1f.

London: S Kelly 1-1, L Mulvey 1-1, S Hannon, M Gottsche (1f), C Magee, P McGoldrick (1f), D Traynor (45) 0-1 each.

Leitrim: C McCrann; A Wynne, C Egan, G Reynolds; D Beck, E Williams, B Prior; D Sweeney, B Brennan, P McGowan, E Mulligan, P Brennan; R Lowe, J Glancy, K Conlon.

Subs: C Reynolds for Mulligan 15, A Croal for Reynolds 55, S McWeeney for Beck 67, R Cox for Conlon 72.

London: D Traynor; P Butler, S Curran, D McGreevy; S Hannon, S Mulligan, T Gaughan; M Gottsche, C Doyle; G Crowley, C McCallion, B Mitchell; P McGoldrick, L Mulvey, C Magee.

Subs: P Geraghty for Gottsche 29, D Dunleavy for Mitchell 38, E O'Neill for McGoldrick 53, S Kelly for Doyle 53, D O'Neill for McCallion 69.

Referee: Barry Cassidy (Derry).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up