Tyrone record one-point win over Dubs

Dublin 1-14 Tyrone 0-18

Tyrone record one-point win over Dubs

Dublin 1-14 Tyrone 0-18

Tyrone raided Croke Park and walked away with a narrow win which brought Dublin’s unbeaten run to an end.

Manager Jim Gavin opted to rest top scorer Bernard Brogan, and his side lacked the cutting edge which has seen them chalk up a series of big wins.

The Red Hands bounced back in admirable fashion from their home defeat to Cork, and have now won all three of their away games.

Paul Flynn and Stephen O’Neill swapped early scores, before Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan converted a long range free.

The Ulster men were busy and committed all over the park, dominating possession, but failed badly when it came to finishing.

They shot a rash of early wides, 10 in total in the first half, to let their opponents off the hook on numerous occasions.

Paddy Andrews fisted a point to put Dublin back in front, and in the 16th minute they rocked the Red hands with a goal

It was Philly Ryan who finished from close range after Kevin McManamon had forced his way past three tackles before having his shot parried.

Tyrone responded by hitting the next three scores, two of them from Sean Cavanagh frees.

Craig Dias and Connolly both notched Dublin points, but it was the Red Hands who dominated the final five minutes of the half.

O’Neill hit his third point,, as did Cavanagh, and a couple of Mark Donnelly scores sent Tyrone in with a 0-10 to 1-6 advantage.

And the Red Hands continued to press in the early stages of the second half, adding further scores through Martin Penrose, Cavanagh and O’Neill.

Dublin rallied, stringing together a sweeping move which ended with Connolly firing in a shot that was brilliantly saved by Morgan.

Connolly narrowed the gap from a free, but the score was quickly cancelled out by Colm Cavanagh,

However, the Dubs were beginning to dominate possession and driving forward in numbers.

Flynn and McManamon both drove over points, the latter bringing th sides level in te 54th minute.

The introduction of Michael Dara Macauley helped give the Dubs and edge in midfield, and he was involved in the move that saw Andrews ease them back in front.

But Tyrone started two win loose ball around the middle, and scores from Paddy McNeice and substitute Plunkett Kane restored their one point advantage heading into the final 10 minutes.

They tagged on further scores through Harte and Kane to go three clear, and while Macauley and Connolly pulled back late points, the visitors held on for a narrow win.

Dublin scorers: P Ryan 1-0, D Connolly 0-6 (5f), K McManamon, P Flynn, P Andrews 0-2 each, MD Macauley, C Dias, /

Tyrone scorers: S O’Neill (1f), S Cavanagh (1f) 0-4 each, Mark Donnelly, P Kane, P Harte (1f), 0-2 each, M Penrose, N Morgan (f), P McNeice, C Cavanagh 0-1 each.

Dublin: S Supple, K O’Brien, G Brennan, D Nelson, J McCaffrey, C O’Sullivan, D Daly, D O’Mahony, D Bastick, P Flynn, C Kilkenny, P Ryan, P Andrews, D Connolly, K McManamon.

Subs: C Dias for Kilkenny, MD Macauley for Bastick, B Cullen for Dias, P Mannion for Ryan, N Devereux for Nelson

Tyrone: N Morgan, A McCrory, C Gormley, C McCarron, Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon, R McNamee, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, P Harte, C

McGinley, M Penrose, S O’Neill, Mark Donnelly.

Subs: P McNeice for Mattie Donnelly, P Kane for McGinley, R McKenna for Joe McMahon, C McAliskey for Penrose, D McBride for Justin McMahon, A Cassidy for C Cavanagh

Referee: M Duffy (Sligo).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up