Tyrone through to face Roscommon

Tyrone 2-13 Armagh 0-13

Tyrone 2-13 Armagh 0-13

Tyrone mastered neighbours Armagh at Healy Park to move on to the fourth round of the Qualifiers this afternoon.

They will meet Roscommon next weekend for a place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals, thanks to an impressive attacking performance.

Joe McMahon and Tomy McGuigan both hit the net, but the Red Hands could have had five goals on an evening when they repeatedly prised open a shaky Orchard defence.

A crowd of 13,682 turned up to witness a feisty Ulster derby, and they weren’t disappointed, with an all-action game producing some wonderful scores and eye-catching individual displays, particular from Tyrone attackers Peter Harte and Mark Donnelly.

Steven McDonnell, Malachy Mackin and Micheal O’Rourke were all on target early on, giving Armagh the advantage, with Peter Harte and Mark Donnelly responding for the home side.

The Red Hands crafted a couple of goal chances, but Brian McGuigan blasted a shot against a post, and Sean O’Neilll blazed wide from a glorious opportunity.

Armagh also had a goal opportunity, when Jamie Clarke got a touch to Malachy Mackin’s long delivery, but Pascal McConnell produced a reflex save to keep the ball out with his foot.

McDonnell made it 0-6 to 0-3 in Armagh’s favour with a converted free, his third score of the evening, but Tyrone produced five minutes of devastating football, hitting 1-4 to turn the game around.

It was full back Joe McMahon who popped up on the edge of the Armagh square to palm home Harte’s far post cross, and the McGuigan brothers, Tommy and Brian, flashed over points to make it 1-7 to 0-6 at the break.

Armagh started the second half with a flourish, and scores from McDonnell, Billy Joe Padden and Aaron Kernan narrowed the gap to a single point.

But the Red Hands once again turned on the style, with Harte and Donnelly dazzling up front and McMahon turning in a towering performance at full back.

Donnelly and Harte were the architects for their second goal, slotted home by Tommy McGuigan in the 57th minute.

Points from Donnelly, Harte and corner back Martin Swift helped them ease eight points clear, before Armagh were handed a lifeline in the form of a penalty, awarded for McMahon’s foot-block on McDonnell.

McDonnell fired the kick over the bar, however, and while he tagged on a few points from frees, Tyrone never looked troubled, and sealed the deal with late scores from Donnelly and Sean Cavanagh.

Tyrone: P McConnell, M Swift, Joe McMahon (1-0), R McMenamin, Sean O’Neill (0-1), C Gormley, P Jordan, K Hughes, S Cavanagh (0-1, f), C Cavanagh, B McGuigan (0-1), P Harte (0-4, 3f), T McGuigan (1-1), M Donnelly (0-3), K Coney (0-1).

Subs: Justin McMahon for McMenamin (33), B Dooher for T McGuigan (56), M Penrose for Coney (56), E McGinley for C Cavanagh (63), D Harte for O’Neill (64)

Armagh: P Hearty, A Mallon, B Donaghy, F Moriarty, A Kernan (0-1, f), C McKeever, P Duffy, J Lavery, K Toner, C Vernon, B J Padden (0-1), M Mackin (0-1), M O’Rourke (0-2), S McDonnell (0-8, 5f, 1 pen), J Clarke.

Subs: T Kernan for Lavery (44), D McKenna for Duffy (50), B Mallon for Padden (56), G McParland for O’Rourke (58), J Hanratty for Vernon (63)

Referee: M Duffy (Sligo).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up