Cork and Kerry to contest U21 football final

Longford, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Cavan claimed wins, while Down and Tyrone drew in the Cadbury's Under-21 Football Championship tonight.

Longford, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Cavan claimed wins, while Down and Tyrone drew in the Cadbury's Under-21 Football Championship tonight.

John Heslin saw red for Westmeath as Longford earned a slender 0-10 to 0-9 win in their Leinster U-21 semi-final at Navan.

James McGivney landed the match-winning point for Longford in a game which saw Westmeath race 0-5 to 0-1 ahead early on.

Westmeath led by 0-5 to 0-4 at half-time, with Heslin introduced after the interval.

No more than two points separated the sides in the closing 30 minutes, with Heslin shown a straight red card 10 minutes from the end.

Longford looked dangerous in the closing stages and McGivney's point confirmed their passage through to the final.

In Portlaoise, Wexford's quest for a first ever Leinster Under-21 title continued a pace with a 1-10 to 0-9 win over Carlow.

Defender Conor Carty netted a penalty goal as Wexford led by 1-4 to 0-5 at the break. Carlow bounced back with midfielder Darragh Foley (0-8) showing great precision from frees.

However, Wexford stood firm with full-back Sean Gaule taking the man-of-the-match award.

Meanwhile, Cork and Kerry will contest the Munster U-21 decider after wins over Tipperary and Limerick respectively.

Mark Collins tallied up eight points as the Rebels beat Tipperary on a 0-21 to 2-3 scoreline at Pairc Ui Rinn.

Tipperary only scored two second half points. Robbie Kiely and David McGrath were the the Premier County side's goal scorers.

Two goals from Paul Geaney and another from James O'Donoghue guided Kerry to a 3-15 to 2-6 triumph over Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds. Kerry led by 1-6 to 1-4 at the interval, but were firmly in command on the restart.

Last year's beaten All-Ireland finalists Donegal exited at the semi-final stage in Ulster following a 0-12 to 1-4 win for Cavan at Brewster Park in Enniskillen.

Cavan moved into a 0-6 to 1-1 lead for half-time, with Dermot Molloy netting for Donegal.

Tyrone and Down must meet again following their 0-14 to 1-11 draw after extra-time at Healy Park in Omagh.

It was the second time in the space of seven days that these sides had played out extra-time, after a tight encounter last time out at Pairc Esler in Newry.

A 21st minute goal from Conarie Harrison helped Down take a 1-5 to 0-5 half-time advantage.

Tyrone bounced back strongly on the restart. They kicked seven second half wides, but came good following a tight finish.

A Kyle Coney free in the fifth minute of injury-time forced extra-time for Tyrone at 0-11 to 1-8. It was a fourth point for Coney and his first from a free.

Tyrone raced three points ahead thanks to scores from Peter Harte, Matthew Donnelly and Coney. A Ben O'Reilly score cut the deficit to two points at the interval - 0-14 to 1-9.

But Down hit back with points from Ryan O'Hare and Paul Devlin to force a second replay, with that game set for Newry next Wednesday.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.238 s