Cork romp home in atrocious conditions

All-Ireland SFC Round 3 Qualifier

All-Ireland SFC Round 3 Qualifier

Cork 0-12 Wexford 0-05

Wexford were well beaten on their home patch this afternoon as Cork’s All-Ireland crusade continued with a seven-point qualifier win.

The Rebels could afford to score just one in the closing 30 minutes at Wexford Park as they coasted into the fourth round.

Daniel Goulding and Paddy Kelly struck two points apiece as the visitors, helped by a huge wind, took a 0-7 to 0-3 interval lead.

The 6,700-strong crowd watched Matty Forde and substitute Ben Brosnan point for Wexford after the break, but Cork were never troubled.

Wexford manager Jason Ryan was forced into a late change as Collie Byrne took PJ Banville's place in the attack, and Shane Roche moved to top of the left.

Cork lined out unchanged from their facile win over Cavan - midfield duo Alan O'Connor and Aidan Walsh both recovering from knocks on - and with the elements behind them, they quickly left Wexford trailing in their wake.

Wexford turned over possession on a number of occasions in the opening quarter and Cork needed no second invitation. Daniel Goulding opened the scoring from a counter attack in the second minute, and both Paddy Kelly and Goulding kicked frees for a 0-3 to 0-0 lead by the fourth minute.

Team captain Graham Canty switched positions to right half-back and provided plenty of leadership for his side, particularly when Wexford tried to turn the tide at the start of the second half.

The Model men, conquerors of Galway last time out, threatened on the break in the early stages but had nothing to show for their efforts, with Ciaran Lyng going closest.

They were putting the Cork defence under a good deal of pressure - Michael Shields and Ray Carey picked up early yellow cards - but scores from Canty and Walsh, after Colm Morris and Redmond Barry had coughed up decent ball, eased Conor Counihan's charges 0-5 to 0-0 ahead.

Some patient build-up play teed up wing back Adrian Flynn for Wexford's opening point in the 18th minute, only for Cork to cancel that out through full-forward Ciaran Sheehan, who profited from Colm O'Neill's quickly-taken sideline ball.

Kelly converted a free after a foul on O'Neill, and it was clear that the mobility of Cork's full-forward line was causing problems for the hosts. The loss of late call-up Byrne through injury was another blow, but Brendan Doyle was a more than adequate replacement.

This was a scrappy encounter, dominated by the wind and rain, but Wexford's attacking play improved considerably coming up to half-time. Their hard-working half-backs supplied the platform for Eric Bradley and Lyng (free) to tag on late points, closing the gap to 0-7 to 0-3 for the break.

If Wexford could maintain that scoring run into the second half, it was a definite case of 'game on'. Unfortunately for the home support, Cork effectively put the game beyond Wexford's reach when they kicked four points in quick succession, between the 36th and 44th minutes. Kelly and Goulding shared out three frees, with substitute Nicholas Murphy prominent, and John Miskella also broke forward from his defensive station to point on the run.

Miskella's effort was the pick of Cork's scores, and it proved strangely to be their penultimate white flag of a hard-fought tie. Matty Forde, who was well-shackled throughout, kicked Wexford's fourth point before a barren spell ensued for both sides, amid heavy rain showers.

Cork continued to create chances, Goulding went wide from a free, Canty drove a goal-scoring chance wide and substitute Paul Kerrigan, recovered from a hamstring injury, also blazed wide when trying to find a way past Wexford net minder Anthony Masterson.

Wexford were struggling to cope with the blustery wind, lacking control as they tried to build attacks and claw their way back into contention. A point from substitute Ben Brosnan in injury-time made it a six-point game, but Cork still managed to have the final say, with Sheehan's second point completing a solid day's work from the Munstermen.

Scorers: Wexford: A Flynn, E Bradley, C Lyng (0-1f), M Forde, B Brosnan 0-1 each

Cork: P Kelly 0-4 (0-3f), D Goulding 0-3 (0-2f), C Sheehan 0-2, G Canty, A Walsh, J Miskella 0-1 each

WEXFORD: A Masterson; J Wadding, G Molloy, B Malone; A Flynn, D Murphy, A Doyle; E Bradley, D Waters; C Morris, R Barry, C Byrne; C Lyng, M Forde, S Roche.

Subs used: B Doyle for Byrne (25 mins), PJ Banville for Roche, P Naughter for Waters (both 54), D Carter for Molloy (68), B Brosnan for Lyng (70+2).

CORK: A Quirke; R Carey, M Shields, J O'Sullivan; G Canty, P Kissane, J Miskella; A O'Connor, A Walsh; F Goold, P O'Neill, P Kelly; D Goulding, C Sheehan, C O'Neill.

Subs used: P Kerrigan for Goold (35+1 mins), N Murphy for O’Connor (half-time), D Kavanagh for Murphy (59, blood sub), N O’Leary for Kissane, J Hayes for O’Neill (both 67), F Lynch for Kelly (70+2).

Referee: Gearoid O Conamha (Galway).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.