Kerry and Derry book places in NHL Division 3A final

Kerry 2-22 Armagh 1-9

Kerry 2-22 Armagh 1-9

Kerry and Derry will meet in the NHL Division 3A final after the Kingdom's 16-point demolition of Armagh in Tralee.

The result means Kerry have remained so far unbeaten in the league heading into the final with the Ulster men on April 10th.

Here they had their forward division in fine scoring form once again registering 2-22 over the 70 minutes. They led comfortably at half-time by 14 points to three, and aided by the breeze had the contest sewn up at that stage.

Full-forward Gary O’Brien grabbed two goals in quick succession to make it another profitable day for himself but the contributions of Michael Boyle, John Egan and Colm Harty can’t be overstated either, each notching four points each from play while John Griffin and Michael Conway were also hugely influential.

Meath 1-17 Derry 2-15

Derry produced a remarkable late burst that yielded two goals and a point to book their place in the NHL Division 3A final.

In this winner takes all clash at Páirc Tailteann

Meath 10 points to 7 at half time, started off failry well from stephen donoghue and niall hackett, led by 8 pts to three, points by Sean McBride and Paddy henry brought Derry back into it.

Start of the second-half, two sendings off, Cathal Brunton send off in the 37th minute and then Kevin Keena straight red for a wild pull, 47 minute, Noel Kirby 1-13 to 9 points on 47 minutes. Derry came back into i Kevin Hinphey, 54th minute another free by Hinphy brought them back into it, 1-14 to 12. Phealim Kelly in the 65th minute goal, 68th minute Hinphy goal, another point after that, a free from Rory Convey.

Mayo 0-15 London 3-14

Mayo hurlers, coached by Galway hurling legend Pete Finnerty have been relegated from Division 3A of the NHL following an eight point loss to London at Castlebar.

The Connacht side led coming up to half-time but the concession of a goal just before the whistle and two more after half-time meant they were always chasing the game thereafter and Finnerty admitted it was a disappointing defeat.

“It was, it’s disappointing now because we were leading for a lot of it only the goals killed us off a bit.

“We actually had control of the game and we outscored them five points to one but suddenly they get two goals in a minute and our lads never recovered.”

Keith Higgins and Derek McConn had good games for Mayo, as did Kevin Moran at full-back while upfront Stephen Hunt continued his good form with five points.

For the exiles, Martin Mythen grabbed a goal while Kevin Walsh got the other two. The result means they will retain their Division 3A status.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.