Tipp comeback seals victory against Galway

Tipperary 2-17 Galway 0-14

Tipperary 2-17 Galway 0-14

Galway completely collapsed in the second half as Tipperary came from behind to win out at Semple Stadium this afternoon.

Aonghus Callanan scored Galway's only point after the break, with Tipp easing to their second successive league victory.

Although John O'Brien netted early on, a five-point haul from Ger Farragher steered Galway into a 0-13 to 1-6 half-time lead.

But wind-backed Tipp dominated the second half and a 52nd minute goal from Noel McGrath, allied to a flood of points, saw them coast to an ultimately comfortable win.

David Burke was added to the Galway attack in a late change, with Niall Healy not fit to start. Tipperary also tweaked their starting line-up, as centre-forward Jody Harte made way for Seamus Callanan.

Cyril Donnellan and Aidan Harte pointed the Tribesmen in front, but Tipp edged ahead when a '65' from Eoin Kelly dropped short and wing forward John O'Brien was able to divert it to the net.

Lar Corbett tagged on a point from a right-sided position before Galway, with the wind behind them, burst back in front.

The in-form Iarla Tannian and Ger Farragher landed some lovely scores as they moved their side into a 0-6 to 1-1 lead by the 18th minute, and Joe Gantley and Niall Cahillane also split the posts before the half was out.

Tipp were struggling to keep in touch but Corbett ended a 14-minute scoreless period for the hosts and Kelly tagged on a late free to reduce the arrears to four points by the half-time whistle.

But Liam Sheedy's men put a completely different complexion on the game in the second period, overhauling Galway with a committed comeback.

Noel and Shane McGrath, together with Kelly, picked off early points to put the pressure on a stuttering Galway and when visting goalkeeper James Skehill fumbled possession, Noel McGrath was able to pounce and score Tipp's second goal.

At the other end, the Premier county's long-serving net minder, Brendan Cummins, did well to stop a goal-bound shot, although Aonghus Callanan managed to knock over a 54th minute point from play to end Galway's barren run.

Nonetheless, John McIntyre's charges had nothing in the tank and Tipp sailed to a nine-point success with Kelly and Corbett leading the scoring in the closing stages.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up