Dublin shock Galway's hurlers



Galway's hurlers were shocked into submission by a super-charged Dublin side at Parnell Park this afternoon, with Anthony Daly's Dubs now two for two in Allianz NHL Division 1.

After impressing in last week's win over Cork, Alan McCrabbe continued his high-scoring exploits with a handsome personal tally of 0-11 and goals in either half from Liam Ryan and substitute David O'Callaghan left Galway chasing the game.

The Tribesmen will want to remember little of this tie as they ended it with just 13 players after straight red cards for Damien McClearn and Mark Kerins - both for wild pulls.

Galway led for the first and only time when Ger Farragher converted a sideline, three minutes in.

Dublin got back on terms before Ryan collected an eighth-minute goal.

Teenage sensation Liam Rushe started the move, using his pace to race in from the left wing.

He found Ryan who was able to canter forward, spreadeagling the Galway defence, before firing a low shot past Galway goalkeeper Colm Callanan.

Farragher, who top-scored for the visitors, with 0-6, had support in the scoring stakes from Niall Healy, Richie Murray and David Tierney.

But Daly's charges were giving as good as they got and McCrabbe's accuracy from placed balls - he also stuck one over from the sideline - gave them a real edge.

The home side led by 1-10 to 0-7 at half-time, with late scores from McCrabbe (0-2) and goalscorer Ryan boosting their total.

And even more impressively, Dublin managed to find an extra gear in the opening minutes of the second period as they struck four points in a row from Rushe, Simon Lambert and McCrabbe (0-2).

Galway rallied and mustered four successive points themselves thanks to efforts from Farragher (0-2) and Aoghus Callanan (0-2).

But with McClearn, who was given a torrid time by Rushe, and Kerins seeing red either side of O'Callaghan's 67th-minute goal, the Dubs ran out convincing winners. McCrabbe also nonchalantly pointed a late penalty.

Dublin: A Nolan; R Trainor, T Brady, N Corcoran; S Hiney, M Carton, D O'Reilly; S Durkin, J McCaffrey (0-1, 0-1f); S Lambert (0-1), L Ryan (1-3), A McCrabbe (0-11, 0-4f, 0-1 '65', 0-1pen, 0-1sl); P Carton (0-1), J Kelly (0-1), L Rushe (0-3).

Subs used: D O'Callaghan (1-0) for Lambert (57 mins), S Martin for Kelly (58), D Treacy for P Carton (65), M O'Brien for Rushe (70+1).

Galway: C Callanan; S Kavanagh (0-1, 0-1f), D McClearn, F Moore; M Ryan, G Mahon, A Cullinane; F Healy (0-1), K Hynes (0-1); R Murray (0-1), C Donnellan, D Tierney (0-1); G Farragher (0-6, 0-4f, 0-1sl), N Healy (0-1), A Callanan (0-2).

Subs used: M Kerins for N Healy (43 mins), J Gantley (0-1) for Donnellan (44), A Coen for Cullinane (48), C O'Donovan for Moore (61-64).

Referee: James McGrath (Westmeath)

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up