Kilmallock forced to dig deep for victory

Less than two months after their All-Ireland Club final defeat to Ballyhale Shamrocks, Kilmallock got off to a winning start in the group stages of the Limerick senior hurling championship.

Kilmallock forced to dig deep for victory

The Limerick and Munster champions were made work all the way for a 2-14 to 1-13 win over Ahane in Caherconlish.

Ger O’Loughlin’s champions had a goal in either half from captain Graeme Mulcahy to ensure a winning start to their title defence. Ahane led 0-7 to 0-3 after 20 minutes but it was level at half time 1-5 to 0-8 with free-takers Eoin Ryan and John Meskell leading the way.

Mulcahy’s second goal came just after half time and midway through the second period Kilmallock were 2-11 to 0-10 clear.

Ahane goaled in the final minutes from a Meskell penalty.

2013 champions Na Piarsaigh were 3-13 to 2-14 winners over Doon in Kilmallock.

Doon had an early Mike Fitzgerald goal but David Breen cancelled that out and Na Piarsaigh led 1-9 to 1-4 at the interval.

Breen and David Sheppard added further Na Piarsaigh goals for a 3-13 to 1-13 lead until Darragh O’Donovan goaled with a late free.

Adare needed a late point from John Fitzgibbon to snatch a 0-14 each draw with Ballybrown in Askeaton. Leading by nine points from free-taker Alan O’Connor, Ballybrown were 0-10 to 0-4 up at half time.

But with Willie Griffin accounting for 0-6, Adare battled back to secure a share of the spoils.

A late Brian Ryan point saw South Liberties beat Murroe-Boher in Cappamore, 2-12 to 1-14.

Liberties were 2-6 to 1-8 up at half time with Ryan netting both goals. Mikey Ryan had the Murroe-Boher goal.

Newcomers Bruff and Croom met in Kilmallock - with Bruff winning 1-13 to 1-10. The victors were 1-7 to 1-5 up at half time with John Cooke getting their goal and Peter Lawlor striking for Croom.

On Sunday evening Patrickswell brought the curtain down on round one with a big 3-24 to 1-7 win over Effin in Bruff. At half time the winners were only 1-9 to 1-2 ahead. A Kevin O’Brien hat-trick of goals stood out for the winners. The Effin goal came from a Thomas Quaid free.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up