Two-goal Mayo turn the tide against Kerry

Kerry 0-10 Mayo 2-11

Two-goal Mayo turn the tide against Kerry

In a niggly affair in front of 8,123 in Fitzgerald Stadium, Mayo effectively ended this 2014 All-Ireland semi-final reunion in the 52nd minute when Kevin McLoughlin found a top corner of the net. The Kerry defence were virtually stationary as Mayo cultivated the chance from a short free, which wasn't exactly taken with haste.

Tommy Walsh made his first Kerry appearance since the 2009 final as a half-time substitute for Bryan Sheehan. Despite claiming a couple of kick-outs, he ended the game on the sideline after picking up a leg injury.

The first half, after which Mayo led 1-7 to 0-4, was marred by a sickening fifth-minute collision between Evan Regan and Johnny Buckley as they battled for possession with Buckley's team-mate Mark Griffin.

Regan tumbled in the air as a result and landed on his neck. He left the field seven minutes later after extended medical attention having suffered suspected concussion.

The sides were level at one point a piece and while Kerry added a brace shortly afterwards Mayo took over matters from the 22nd minute. The home team managed just a single score as Mayo shot 1-3 without replay and then added another three points towards the end of the half.

The goal came from Alan Freeman in the 24th minute, the full-forward running hard down the end-line and beating Mark Griffin to slide a great finish past Brendan Kealy.

Struggling on their own kick-outs, Kerry were punished in quick succession on a couple of occasions having just conceded scores. Mayo were also showing more aggression and were quicker moving the ball forward as Kerry struggled with a route one option to Paul Geaney.

Four yellow cards were dished out by referee Maurice Deegan in the 31st minute in a game that threatened to spill over on occasions.

Scorers for Kerry: BJ Keane (0-4, 1 free); P Geaney, D Moran (1 45, 1 free) (0-2 each); K O'Leary, M Geaney (0-1 each).

Scorers for Mayo: M Conroy (0-4); J A Freeman, K McLoughlin (1-0 each); J Doherty (0-3, 2 frees); E Regan, D Vaughan, S O'Shea, D O'Connor (0-1 each).

KERRY: B Kealy; M Griffin, P Kilkenny, F Fitzgerald; J Lyne, J Sherwood, P Murphy; D Moran, B Sheehan; M Geaney, K O'Leary, J Buckley; S O'Brien, P Geaney, BJ Keane.

Subs for Kerry: T Walsh for B Sheehan (h-t); Philip O'Connor for K O'Leary (48); J McGuire for J Lune (blood, 54-56); C Keane for BJ Keane (57); J McGuire for P Geaney (61); D Casey for S O'Brien (65); A Fitzgerald for T Walsh (inj 68).

MAYO: R Hennelly; S Coen, K Keane, K Higgins; L Keegan, C Barrett, P Durcan; S O'Shea, D Vaughan; K McLoughlin, A Gallagher, J Doherty; E Regan, M Ronaldson, A Freeman.

Subs for Mayo: M Conroy for E Regan (inj 11); D O'Connor for A Gallagher (44); A O'Shea for A Freeman (48); M Sweeney for M Conroy (58); C Boyle for C Barrett (58); E Varley for M Ronaldson (61); B Moran for S O'Shea (69).

Referee: M Deegan (Laois)

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.256 s