Tones send holders crashing

The trend of the Meath SFC title not being retained since Dunshaughlin completed a three-in-a-row in 2002 continues, with Wolfe Tones sending holders Summerhill packing, 2-11 to 0-8, in a quarter-final clash at Páirc Tailteann on Saturday.

Tones send holders crashing

The Kilberry side were in control for most of the hour, although the holders managed to be on level terms (0-5 each) at the halfway stage.

Brian Ennis edged Summerhill ahead on the restart but they only managed three converted frees after the change of ends.

Cian Ward fired over six points, including four frees and a 45, and corner-back Shane Glynn dashed upfield for the first goal before Ciaran McLoughlin netted the second.

Last year’s beaten finalists, Na Fianna, are back in the last four after a late Conor Downey goal fired them to a 1-15 to 2-9 victory over Simonstown Gaels at Trim on Saturday.

Colm O’Rourke’s Simonstown had looked the more likely winners, with Pádraig McKeever flicking to the net on six minutes following good work by Shane O’Rourke to give them an early boost.

Supporters of the Navan side were soon cheering again as Mark McCabe netted their second goal and, with O’Rourke and former county captain Seamus Kenny getting among the scorers, it was 2-5 to 0-9 at the break.

However, the Enfield/Baconstown outfit bounce back into contention after the early setbacks, with former League of Ireland soccer player Shane Barrett and brother Dean prominent in attack along with Downey, who finished up with 1-3.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne, who failed to get out of their group last year, have emerged as strong title contenders with a 3-13 to 0-8 victory over Duleek/Bellewstown at Páirc Tailteann on Friday earning them a tilt with Na Fianna. This game had former playing rivals, Royals’ hero Graham Geraghty and Dublin midfielder Paul Clarke, in opposite corners and after the sides were tied on 0-6 each at the break, it was Clarke’s charges who powered clear in the second period.

Dublin U21 forward Michael Deegan took the scoring honours with a contribution of 1-6. Eric Callaghan and Ciarán Beirne also found the net and Meath seniors Bryan Menton and Andrew Tormey got among the point scorers.

Navan O’Mahonys clinched the fourth semi-final spot with a 3-14 to 2-11 win over Skryne at Páirc Tailteann yesterday, having held a handsome 1-10 to 0-2 interval lead. David Bray fired the first goal after 12 minutes and Jake Regan and Stephen Bray found the net for the winners in the second-half. Regan finished up with a total of 1-6.

Meath full-back Kevin Reilly, who is due to have hip surgery shortly, was togged out on the bench for O’Mahonys but did not join the action.

Meath SFC semi-finals: Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Na Fianna, Wolfe Tones v Navan O’Mahonys.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up