The Nire deny Stradbally in six-goal cracker

Waterford SFC: Although this latest renewal lacked the usual bite, keen rivals The Nire and Stradbally still served up a six-goal spectacle at Fraher Field on Saturday evening.

The Nire deny Stradbally in six-goal cracker

The Nire prevailed by five points (3-11 to 3-6) to rubberstamp their place in the quarter-finals from Group 2.

Shane Ryan fisted home a Jamie Barron cross from close range after 13 minutes and that allowed The Nire establish a 1-7 to 0-4 half-time advantage.

When Diarmuid Wall flashed in a straightforward chance on 40 minutes, the Ballymacarbry men had moved 12 points clear (2-10 to 0-4).

A chaotic finish was in store, however, with four goals crammed into the final eight minutes. Michael Sweeney smashed to the roof of the net and Chris Casey punched to the corner as the gap suddenly narrowed to five.

The Nire reacted as Liam Lawlor found the top corner on 58 minutes. Stradbally flew up the other end and John Coffey sidestepped Tom Wall for an ice cool finish. But The Nire survived the late fightback.

Group 1 leaders Ballinacourty also cemented their spot in the last eight as they gathered their third triumph against An Rinn (0-18 to 1-6).

Seven different scorers saw the champions surge nine points up at midway (0-12 to 0-3). Patrick Hurney was the chief marksman with five from play, while Donie Breathnach netted a consolation goal three minutes from time.

Kilrossanty and Clashmore played out a gripping draw (1-9 to 0-12) in Saturday’s curtain raiser at Dungarvan.

Three points through Tommy Prendergast and a Barry Prendergast goal on 49 minutes put Kilrossanty in the driving seat. Clashmore improved on earlier showings, however, and Paul O’Connor scored eight points, including the equaliser. Both teams finished with 14 men as Paudie O’Rourke and Michael Kirwan saw red.

Rathgormack claimed their second win as Gavin Nugent shot seven points against Ardmore at Bushy Park (0-14 to 0-11). The corner-forward nailed five in the opening half as they eased seven points clear (0-10 to 0-3). Winless Ardmore rustled up a mini revival as Seamus Keating kicked four frees but Jason Curry quenched any comeback with a late clincher.

Gaultier edged an Eastern derby against De La Salle at Walsh Park (2-9 to 1-11).

They were a point to the good at the break helped by a first-minute penalty from JJ Hutchinson. De La Salle took charge of the third quarter to lead by 1-9 to 1-6. A Sean White strike on 49 minutes and crucial points by Ian Hatton and Hutchinson guided Gaultier to victory.

St Saviour’s eased their relegation fears with a gritty 1-8 to 0-6 win over Ballinameela in Stradbally. Ballinameela led by 0-4 to 0-0 at half-time but Saviours tied the game entering the last quarter.

Paul Houlihan produced a vital stop and the Eastern side kicked on. Brian Power flicked the ball to the net with seven minutes remaining after a Mickey Merrigan delivery.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.23 s