Macroom finish the job

Macroom 0-10 Valley Rovers 0-04

As in last week’s drawn game, the Mid Cork side made the perfect start, took a five point lead after 50 minutes, but this time didn’t surrender it, and set up a final against either Nemo Rangers or Clyda Rovers.

Valleys’ cause wasn’t helped by having centre back Tim Cummins stretchered off after 10 minutes with a serious knee injury which completely upset the balance of their team.

For Macroom coach Noel Twomey it was a particularly satisfying result, as he had been involved with the team both as a player and mentor in their quest for championship silverware at this garde.

“We’ve waited 20 years to get there, but there is still another hurdle to go. Tonight’s victory will count for nothing if we don’t complete the job.

“My biggest worry going into replay was would be up to the physicality of the Rovers. I’d like to think we matched them in that department and that’s what won us the game.

“There is going to be a great buzz around the town in the coming weeks in the lead up to the final and I can’t wait for it to come around.

With both defences on top, scores were scarce for most of the opening half. Macroom, making maximum use of limited possession, managed to lead 0-4 to 0-0 after 25 minutes.

Rovers put in a strong finish with Kevin Canty again a towering figure at midfield and at the break, the Muskerry side held an 0-5 to 0-3 lead, two of those points coming from the boot of Fintan Goold from over 60 metres.

Macroom moved Fintan Goold to midfield for the second-half hoping to break the dominance of Canty, but the Rovers played into Macroom’s hands by moving Canty to full-forward which left Goold to dictate around the middle and his forward colleagues thrived on the plentiful supply of ball that came their way to lead 0-8 to 0-4 at the three quarter stage.

With Canty getting little change off Rory Buckley at full-back, Rovers were forced to bring him out to midfield again and he succeeded in breaking the dominance of Goold.

However a combination of poor finishing – they hit seven wides in the second half – and excellent defending, mean they went 17 minutes without a score, before Canty kicked their fifth point.

A sustained period of pressure ended with Hughie O’Donovan pointing a close in free, but the gap was far too wide, and time ran out of the Innishannon side.

Scorers for Macroom: P. Lucey 0-4 (0-1 free); F. Goold (frees), D. Goold 0-2 each; P. Corrigan, D. Horgan 0-1 each.

Scorers for Valley Rovers: H. O’Donovan 0-4 (frees); J. Cottrell, D. Crowley, K. Canty 0-1 each.

MACROOM: J. O’Connell; P. Lynch, R. Buckley, M. O’Donnell; S. Kiely, F.Goold, C. Murphy; P. Corrigan, E. O’Mahony; D. Cotter, I. Casey, T. Dineen; P. Lucey, D. Goold, D. Horgan.

Subs: A. Hegarty for D. Cotter (45); B., O’Donnell for I. Casey (55); G. Angland for T. Dineen (55).

VALLEY ROVERS: A. Quirke; N. O’Donovan, D. Lynch, Joe Lynch; Jack Lynch, T. Cummins, D. Crowley; K. Canty, C. O’Donovan; H. O’Donovan, D. Murphy, M. Power; J. Cottrell, F. Lynch, J. Murphy.

Sub: D. Collins for T. Cummins (10).

Referee: J. Bermingham (Bride Rovers).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.